well wouldn't you know it

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Misty, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

Today, the duroc sow who was accidentally bred by the white exotic In Demand boar farrowed. She had 12 pigs.
    I haven't seen them yet. But, In Demand is belted exotic (hampshire appearing), the son we have is white. There are red with belts, some white, and some with red and black spots. My husband called me and said, "this is beyond a doubt the most muscled pigs we have ever had."
    I will go see them tomorrow if I get home in time. I have to study.

2. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Bring your camera!

Heather

3. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

A hamp/ duroc cross is a super super market hog show combination....Good luck

4. savinggrace

savinggrace COO of manure management

Hamp/Durocs are the cross my pig breeder friend prefers! My feeders last year were that exact cross. Maybe this accidental breeding is a blessing in disguise :dance:

5. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

I just bought a Duroc sow that is bred with a York. She is showing well. The man just had to quit due to health, and she was magnificent, as was the boar. I'm not familiar with the crosses, but I have seen them before we took on this country life. Friends have told me that this is a very nice cross and that the Duroc makes a very high quality meat. I would be very interested to know how your pigs do. I am considering keeping the sow.
    Husband o'G

6. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

Georgiaberry....southwest arkansas.... we own alot of timber around magnolia and some in hope...small world.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The duroc/york is a common cross but with the sow the york and the duroc the boar. Yorks have more milk.

8. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

not too many judges who will pick a red belted hog, or red adn white with black spots on it though. No matter HOW GOOD the hog is. Oh well, they will taste good enough.