Well, we're going to do it...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by jen74145, Dec 3, 2006.

1. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hubby and I have wanted to raise rabbits for awhile now; trouble is, I don't think I could deal with the whole cute aspect. :rolleyes:
    But now, he has said he'll handle the bunnies for me, so a bit more research and hopefully we'll be on our way!
    Anybody have any recommended books to share, websites to peruse? I know Storeys, and picked up Carla Emery's last night... any others?

2. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh, reading this forum will get you most of the way there, but I know what you mean about the hands on reading. It's fun preparing for a new venture.

As far as websites, if you go to arba.net, that's the ARBA site and from there you can go to breed club websites, and from there to individuals websites, and it's probably endless what you can pick up. One I like is http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/ There's quite a bit of information on there.

Good luck!

Jennifer

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Have you decided what breed you'd like to start with? You know I have to suggest one of the rarer breeds like Silver Foxes, Creme d'Argents, American or Giant Chinchillas etc, its a good thing to help conserve and be a rare breed 'steward'. Good luck, and I'll look for helpful links, here's the ALBC

http://www.albc-usa.org/

4. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I'm a returning rabbit newbie and the rudolph site really helped me out...have fun!

5. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Can't offer any help with where to search for information, but am looking forward to your sharing what you learn. I've toyed with the idea of raising rabbits for awhile now....

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, I do have a number of links on my website at www.geocities.com/cremerabbits/links.html. ;)

An excellent book to read is Rabbit Production by McNitt, Patton, Lukefahr, and Cheeke. It's a college-level textbook, but it's written in layman's language. Very readable. It's considered the "Bible" of modern rabbit farming, respected by large commercial growers and backyard breeders alike. Rabbit Production covers everything from commercial rabbitry management to color genetics and slaughter. It's available from www.klubertanz.com - probably costs around $30.

Another decent book in the same genre as Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits is Your Rabbit: A Kid's Guide to Raising and Showing by Nancy Searle. It's similar to Storey's Guide, but without some of the extra "fluff" SGTRRB can have. It's written for youth breeders, of course, but it's a good introduction to raising rabbits.

Good luck in your bunny quest!

7. jen74145

Thanks all; been reading and learning all sorts of handy stuff!
    Quick question, tho; I don't have anywhere with AC to keep 'em cool, and I live in Texas. Zone 8, borderline 7. Will a shady spot be enough, should I look into a ground colony, what can I do?
    :shrug:

8. jen74145

Oh, and I'm all for rarer breeds too, but figure I'll start with some good 'ol mutts or NZWs till I have a better idea of what I'm doing.