Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first round, 3 weeks ago, I suspected the timing was a bit off as I bred her around 4 p.m. and she was still in heat the next morning. Her cervix wasn't engorged and she wasn't slimy. Grrr.

It is hard to gauge standing heat when you only have 1 cow! :hair

This morning she was acting a bit skwirly (right on schedule) and by afternoon was in full Steamy-Pants Mode, so at 11 p.m., I palpated her to check her cervix before I drove out to the farm where I work to get the goods. I wasn't taking any chances this time! :teehee:

Oh, a Hefty bag is an acceptable substitute for a long glove, in a pinch. :pound:

Now she's out there in the dark banging her head against the side of her shed. Good grief, this cow is a hormonal maniac when she's in heat! Please pray to the god(s) of your choice that we settled her this time. :eek:

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,912 Posts
Hope she took!

Reactions: Litlbits

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you must be thinking of someone else. :)

This is only our second shot at breeding her. She's had two live calves (11 months apart!) but aborted her third pregnancy in June for no apparent reason. We didn't know for certain until we had her preg checked in August, then had to wait for the special polled Jersey semen I ordered to be delivered.

I only bought 2 straws, so she'd better have settled this time! :pound:

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Will you do a Biopryn test or palpate? Hoping for you that she's pregnant!

Please post another photo of Marianne to refresh my memory!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think you must be thinking of someone else. :)

This is only our second shot at breeding her. She's had two live calves (11 months apart!) but aborted her third pregnancy in June for no apparent reason. We didn't know for certain until we had her preg checked in August, then had to wait for the special polled Jersey semen I ordered to be delivered.

I only bought 2 straws, so she'd better have settled this time! :pound:
I'm glad and hope you've been successful! :)

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The herd I milk is on DHIA test so we'll be doing the milk-based preg test. It isn't accurate before 30 days, though, and this cow is so ... OBVIOUS ... when it comes to her heats that I suspect we'll know sooner than that! Like in 3 weeks ...

Dr. Jekyll has turned back into Mr. (or should I say Ms.) Hyde again ... whew. She's such a sweet-tempered and docile girl when she's NOT in heat that it's hard to believe she's the same cow.

Here's Marianne back in July, right after we rescued her:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts