Well Water... ?????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by KindredCanuck, Apr 29, 2004.

1. KindredCanuck

KindredCanuck In Remembrance

Was looking at properties off this Island where some are on wells... How vigilant are You with Your water quality... What means of filtration do You use to keep it safe for Your consumption.. Many times in the rural areas when outbreaks happen of mysterious illnesses.. the water is usually first thing checked... here In Montreal often children are brought into our hospitals as the rural areas don't have the same diagnostic instruments.. and those with weak immune or not totally developed are first targets of these microscopic germs. That oft resemble as flu/allergy/rash symptoms.. but typically are chemical poisons.. leaching from unknown areas.. or poor usage of pesticides..
    Even country life pets are hit with weird diseases.. growths.. poisonings

So do You buy.. boil or filter Your water with reverse osmosis or uv rays.. chemical enhancements.. What?

Curious and apprehensive...
    KC~

2. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

Having lived in the country with water wells all our lives we put in a RO filter under our sink for all cooking and drinking. I am sure that our farming area has probably contaminated much of the water with chemicals and commercial fertilizers over the years, so I would rather drink purified water just to be on the safe side. Our adult kids have each put an RO in on their city water also. They did an in home kind of electrolysis test on their water and the water actually turned from clear to rusty, green, mossy, slimy that smelled like a lake. There are way too many viruses, bacteria ect. in any water any more to trust it. I have a friend in Montana whose little town was having many people come down with the Epstein Barr virus and was found to be coming from the city water supply. Marilyn, the farmer's wife.......

3. CarolinaBound

CarolinaBound Well-Known Member

4. I've also lived on well water most of my life and all I have is a water softener system because my well water is so hard (undrinkable because of iron content without it). I suppose I should have it tested, will get around to it someday ;) If you have children, they won't get fluoride from well water of course so will need to use toothpaste with it (I think you can also buy vitamins or pills with it).

Mel-

5. SHELBY

SHELBY Well-Known Member

We have well water and use a water softener with it due to the hard water...We have had it tested directly out of the well and every test came out way below the limits....

6. dmp437

dmp437 Member

7. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

My house is also on a well. There is an ultraviolet purifier and a particle filter on the main feed to the house. I also use a smaller, charcoal filtration system on the faucet in the kitchen. There is a cost associate with each as the filters and UV tube need to be replaced on a routine basis.

I find that the algae and bacteria levels stay in check if I chlorinate my well at least twice a year...once in the spring, then again in the fall. It's also a good idea to have the well tested every year or so just for peace of mind. Testing is fairly inexpensive, about the same price as two adults going to a movie, so I consider this money 'well' spent.

8. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member Supporter

We have lived with well water for 17 years. Had it tested 3 times in that time by the state. We did not have a filter until last year when a friend gave us one which we use for drinking. We would never have bought one ourselves as we love the taste of our water but hey what do you do when it is given to you. The taste did not change with the filter so we were happy :)

9. I have lived on a farm all my life, grew up with a 30' deep well run by a windmill, have been on the 230' deep deep well since I was 5 or so. Shallow wells are a bit of a problem like that 30' one that had a drainage ditch running past it, but deep wells here are pretty safe once tested & left alone. We have lots of iron in our deep water, but saves on iron pills. :)

As I have cattle & spend an hour or 2 a day standing in the, um, dirt there, I guess a few little bugs & gremlins don't worry me too much. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and that is the way most rural folks feel. I'd feel a little different with an infant around, but for healthy folk it just doesn't seem to be an issue. Here. Most of the problems around here are from the shallow wells the nearby cities have, when their clorine process doesn't quite work...... Private deep wells seem to have a better track record.

--->Paul

10. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Hey Kindred,
    This may be a silly question but if you are off an island shouldnt you just be able to lean over the side of the boat and dip some water out?

Kirk

11. henny

henny Guest

We made water testing part of the offer agreement...testing to be done by a licensed technician and sent to a state lab for analysis within 3 weeks of accepting the offer. Our realtor wrote the offer so we could get back out if water tested as being above legal contamination limits.

We tested high on nitrates (at the legal limit), but decided to buy anyway since we could get an RO system for the kitchen sink and filter it out. There are other contaminants that aren't easily removed or need to be removed from all the water (bathing, shower water too) and that kind of all house filter would be too expensive for us and would affect the resale value of the house.

There are some wells near fertilizer plants here that are so contaminated that the water can't be filtered to the point it is safe.

henny

12. cath

cath Well-Known Member

We've been on well water in the past 5 properties we have owned. Two of them tested fine and was some of the sweetest water you could ever find right from the tap. Our place now has NASTY water--iron, chloride, Calcium carbonate, algae, sand. We have a water softener and triple filter system just so we can use the water for clothes/dish washing, etc. But for drinking and cooking we have bottled water and use a rain water collection system for our plants.

But the homestead that we are about to move to has a high water table so has shallow wells and all are contaminated by bacteria due to the large amount of dairy farms in the area. We are putting in a water softener and iron removal system and will use UV light for the bacteria. We may also put a small reverse osmosis filter under the kitchen sink, haven't yet decided.

Bottom line--each well has unique characteristics. It is worthwhile to get a local dude out to your place to test the water and make recommendations. Good luck!

13. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

Well I GREW UP on well water, had to replace the Foot Valve 5 times in 20 years due to the Calcium buildup(which clogs the foot valve at the bottom of the pipe)

We got hard water, had it tested for free by Sears, it came back good.

and there is somthing magical about our water, I'm 23 and never had a Tooth cavity! and I don't brush my teeth everyday! and eat Ice Cream all the time! and we didn't have it filtered. the well is deep about 60ft, requires a Deep well pump.

I live in the Illinois Basin, so the Local Oilwells do influence Water Quality, My Grandpa has a Well that LITTERALLY taste like Saltwater! yuck! there were some Oil activity back in the late 70's

anyways USA has the safest water supply in the world, let's keep it that way by Plugging ABANDONED water wells, not only are they a good way to get contamination into the water supply, but imagaine if a child fell down one! They should be PLugged.

14. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I've lived off of well water that wasn't filtered (step dad was a nut) and it tasted like blood from all the minerals in the water. Now we live in what's considered a rural-residential area, and the water is nasty. It comes out a milky white and tastes like poo. We buy drinking water, but shower with tap water. The hard water is a killer though, and I have to use shampoo with aspirin in it to keep my skin from drying out and flaking.

15. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

ah, yes it is hard to get a good soap lather with hard water....

16. Don't assume wellwater is free of fluoride; mine has so much it's just under the legal limit. It's common in parts of the desert southwest, particularly areas that have a lot of volcanic activity. (My well is also borderline thermal; the water temp is about seventy degrees when it comes out of the ground, the well depth is 650 feet)

Leva