Well, THIS is different!

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Terri, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

OK. I got my 2 packages hived yesterday with no problems.

But, I prefer to feed a hive in an empty box above the hive, so that they can feed themselves even if it rains. Fine.

But, THIS time the bees have decided that they like the empty box better than the box of nicely drawn comb! :eek: I went to fill the thing of syrup (I did not bring enough with me when I hived the packages: my bad), and they were all clustered on the upper lid! The queen box was already empty, so all I can figure was that she liked to climb, and of course her bees followed her! :grump:

So I peeked in the other hive, and it was the same story! I did not get into the hive enough to see if the queen was released because I hate to disturb a new hive, but I DID see comb on the upper cover!

They were SUPPOSED to be using the drawn comb! :rolleyes: LAST years packages certainly did!

Well, I will get in there in a few days and set things right. I wanted a nuc anyways so perhaps I can salvage some of the bur comb to get things started. There are probably eggs on the comb. The honey flow has started, so in a few days I can remove the feeder and the top box and they can feed themselves until they have enough brood to get them anchored in the right area.

Or, perhaps I can put a frame of drawn comb in the upper box and then move it south once the queen lays in it. That might be a better idea.

2. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Terri, try using a spray bottle and mist your frames with sugar water! It draws the bees down to the comb and keeps them busy until the queen is released and laying!

3. Terri

I will try that in a couple of days time. I intend to put an old comb right next to the bur comb to bait them off of it.

Once the queen is laying on the other comb, most of the workers can be shaken off of the bur comb and I can use the top board with bur comb (and eggs) to start a nuc or 2.

4. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I would remove the top box and feeder temporarily and shake the bees down onto the frames in the lower box. This will force them to use the drawn frames, once they do then you can put the feeder back and they should stay in the lower frame.

I would guess they are building comb near the source of feed because of convienence.

5. Terri

Nope

I am feeding with a chick feeder, and I put dry grass in to keep the bees from drowning. A chick feeder gives feed at the bottom.

They just have queens that likes to climb, is all! :rolleyes: :haha: