Well systems AGAIN.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mamalisa, Mar 17, 2005.

1. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

If I have a well where the water starts at about 30-35' down and I believe to be 50' deep.......

Old well, about 24" across, accessible only from the top, covered with a steel plate. It used to be hooked up to the house plumbing but the hookup is unfixable though still present.

I want to dump a submersible pump in there, attach it to a fairly large pressure tank and use it to water stock AND to be able to hook it up to a generator since the other well is 600' deep and no way I'd ever get water out of it.

What size pump/tank/etc do I need and how do I go about creating an outdoor spigot? The well is on our back porch, which usually doesn't freeze in the winter.

Thanks for all the help.

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

If your main use would be for filling a stock tank, then you could plumb a 1/2 hp submersible with the pipe going directly into the stock tank. You wouldn't need any type of pressure switch or pressure tank. You would simply have a switch to supply electricity to the pump or not supply electricity. You could use a bigger pump but I dont think you would need to. The only other problem I would see would be you would need a torque arrestor to minimize the shock of the pump starting(maybe). This would be easy to hook up to a generator as well.

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

What about putting a hand pump on it, for when you can't get fuel for the generator anymore? (Peak Oil) You can have an electric and a hand pump simultaneously on the same well, the hand pump would just sit there until you needed it.

Kathleen

4. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Lehman's says I can only use a pitcher pump for 20' down. Their deep-well hand pumps would run me over $600. That is what made me look at submersible pumps....I think I can fix this system for less, esp. if I do the work myself.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

Another way would be to use an above surface jet pump which could be pretty easy to install also. And no torque problems in the well.