Well, summer is here....heat and critters.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozark_jewels, May 30, 2006.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Been hot here lately, got all the windows and doors thrown wide in an attempt to catch a breeze or two. Was putting up fence last week and ran across 4 snakes in an hours time. Thankfully they were all harmless, so we went our separate ways. 2 green snakes, 1 striped snake of some variety or another, and a black snake that proved to be almost 6' long when I picked him up and measured him against my height. What a beauty. Showed him to the goats and they were very unimpressed.<grin>
    Then yesterday I was walking along the path between the old house(where we keep the grain) and the goat barn and almost stumbled over a small copperhead. Killed him.
    Them this morning I was woken at 5:00 by the dogs creating a huge fuss at the corner of the house. Stumbled out there to check on them and they had cornered an armadillo between the propane line and the house. Went back in, got my pistol and dispatched him. Had to grab his tail to drag him away from the propane line....didn't want to hit that!
    So the summer critters are coming around now. Have yet to see the coyote that lives in our bottom hayfield.....but I expect I will soon.

2. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

I got my first mosquito bite today - does that count? Not nearly as exciting as your day.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL!! Well you beat me to that. Haven't had a mosquito bite yet.....about 20 ticks so far.....=)

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

It's been hot here also. We have been so lucky, the rain comes in nice, long showers about every 4 days. We need to bush-hog everything.. The ticks are out. I have 25 honey supers that are full and 5 that are being drawn out. The vineyard looks beautiful and the blueberries are load with lg. not ripe berries.. The garden is all coming up nicely (we are so late with it--to much work at jobs). The bluebird houses are all occupied ,except one!! Thank goodness, we haven't seen any snakes yet...... Yes, summer has arrived... :)

5. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

Snakes are in abundance here to, 4 huge black snakes in 4 days, going after the rest of my ducklings and goslings had to kill them all, even though I hated to do it, it was either them or the babies, I hope these babies grow up fast and won't be snake bait for long, tired of snake hunting every hour on the hour!!!!!!

6. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

DH says he saw a timber rattlesnake the other day while mowing. Yikes! I am not used to all these critters. Back in the 'burbs, all we had was an occasional garter snake... <shiver> I didn't even know Ohio HAD rattlesnakes till recently.