Well, She's Sworn In

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Pony, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

DD is now sworn in to the United States Air Force.

She goes on Saturday for the linguist exam. If she doesn't get over 100 on that, she'll go G-70 in January. If she aces the exam (and there's every reason to believe she will; no brag, just fact), it will be April before she goes in.

I am torn. Part of me wants her to get the linguist position, but part of me would prefer that she take the G-70 and go medical, which was really what she wanted in the first place.

Ah, well.

My daughter. The Air Force private.

Strange world. But I know it will be good for her.

Pony!

2. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

I don't understand G-talk, but sounds as if G-70 must be the medical line of work designation.

Congratulation on her getting in the branch she wanted, and the knee not holding her back.

Goodk luck.
    And a Hugg to Mom

Angie

3. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Pony, I have to say, I admire the young people who choose this route. My nephew joined up a couple months ago, and while his Mum was a bit upset, I couldn't be more proud.

Your daughter must be a fine young woman.

4. OzarkHmsteaders

OzarkHmsteaders HomesteadHopefuls

just want to say, hugs to you :) the days that my sons left for bootcamp, (one U.S.M.C. and one ARMY) were 2 of the hardest days of my life.oh, except for the 2 days they both came home(as Men.) lol when your little girl leaves,I'll be thinking of you and sending hugs,and when she comes home all grown up too.
    My thoughts and prayers to her and you & your family.
    hugs, Christine :)

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Best wishes to you both Pony!

BooBoo! :gromit:

6. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

The AF does not have "privates" they have Airmen.

Linguist - Very large fail out on tech school by people that passed the entry level test. If you fail out, they give you a list of what is OPEN and you get to prioritize the jobs that you would like. Then they assign you one or you go home. Ask the recruiter for failure rates (called DNF or did not finish).

If G-70 means general 70% like I think it does. It means that any AFSC that has that requirement may be offered.

I went in what was called OPEN ELECTRONICS (E-70) and ended up in ND working on nukes.

Be careful what to be happy about. Nothing is certain when it comes to the first year. Make sure DD understands and asks questions before accepting any offers.

BTW - It was good for me.

7. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    :clap: Good for her! You must be very proud.

8. Pony

Thank you! I was sure I got that wrong, but did not feel like googling to get it right -- and poor DD was so pooped out, I was NOT going to wake her to ask!

Thanks, I will mention that to her. Don't know if she'll follow through (she is still so resistant to suggestions, which she sees as interference), but she should be aware of these things...

They told her that she would have 4 options at that point, and that the G-7- does not always come up -- just that a spot opened. :shrug:
    Yeah, I do not trust the people at the front end of this process as much as she seems to. But she's an adult, so she gets to make her own mistakes. I just get to stand by and watch (sometimes in horror, sometimes with pleasure).
    Thanks. I needed that. :)

Pony!

9. Pony

Dang, I am forgetful!

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and good wishes. AND the hugs. I need them, and know that I will need them much more as the day for her to ship out approaches.

I really almost wish she'd take the G-70, so I would not have to be on pins and needles until Spring...

Selfish, ain't I? I hate that about me... :(

Pony!

10. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

So she really went through and did it. I'll keep her in prayers.
    In a couple years, she'll probably be wanting your 'interference'.

Many Blessings on you my friend

11. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

My first husband was in the Air Force and my first baby was born at an AF hospital. I worked as a civilian at an AF base for 8 years or more. The AF can be a real good gig.

She'll grow up a lot, be exposed to a lot of training and probably some travel. The benefits are great. She'll make lifelong friends.

I'm sure you're worried about missing her and worried about her safety should she get deployed overseas. Maybe you can focus on the good aspects and it might help put the worries into the back seat a little.

I know you're proud of her. You're going to be even more proud of her this time next year.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Dont worry about the job,what will be will be.

What she will learn about herself is what matters really.Will be a capable adult after this,thats one thing the military pretty much ensures.

BooBoo! :gromit: