well pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by akmyilee, Jun 2, 2005.

1. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

how much does it cost to replace a well pump?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

just the pump runs about $90. If you need to replace the motor too, it will be about $250 depending on size.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Above ground or submersible?
    Deep submersible for labor and new pump $725 last week or so.

4. akmyilee

I am pretty sure that it is above ground.......just fyi I am totally a newbie at this stuff. haven't even seen the property yet but was told that the well pump is missing.........If it is going to cost 725 I dont' think we will buy the place :)

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Do you know if the well is a 2 inch or a 6 inch?

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I paid $119.00 for a 3/4 horse pump for a 40 foot well last year.

7. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I had to drop a new pump/motor in my 300' well in December - $840 for a 1/2 hp stainless steel pump plus $80/hr to pull the pipe, connect the new pump and drop the whole mess back down the well.

8. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

I was billed $900-some last year.

9. Running Arrow

Running Arrow Member

How far is up? Seriously, though...

Depends on:

1. Depth of well
    2. Volume of water that can be pumped out of well (and recovery rate)
    3. Horsepower of pump required
    4. Does well pipe need to be replaced
    5. Does wiring down to pump need to be replacedd
    6. How much per hour the well driller/service people charge
    7. Is a new control/capacitor box needed
    8. Pressure that needs to be generated at well head (top of ground level)

10. akmyilee

Ok running Arrow, point made, but like I said I am pretty much clueless. We went out and looked at the property that I was told needed a new well pump, that is all that I was told........didn't really like it anyway........BUT it is good for me to be learning about this stuff. I definaly want to have a well when we get someplace, where ever and when ever that might be. At least now I know what I need to know to know what to get. Ok, what I am trying to say is Thanks for the help ya'll :)

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Being Clueless results from about 4 possible reason(s) ....Ignorant realtor , Deceptive realtor , Lazy realtor , realtor who hasn't prepared a Complete Summary of ALL factors that any potential Buyer should and would DEMAND(in a nice way of course) before viewing the Property . fordy... :)

12. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

There are gennerally 2 types of wells, shallow or deep.

Shallow wells often have the pump up on the ground (aka jet pump), and are a bit cheaper to deal with. However they tend to fail or give problems or less performance a bit more often. These wells can be very small pipe in the ground, or a big 3 foot diameter hole.......

Deep wells typically have the submersable pump which is deep down on the bottom of the 1" pipe, all of which is inside a 5" well casing pipe. These generally are over 100 feet deep, can go deeper than 400 feet. These pumps are real spendy & labor to get to, but are rather dependable & last a long long time, run cooler & push a lot more water.

This is general operation, there can be many variations of course, and some deep well casings are only 4", some are 6" or bigger for irrigation, etc.......

In the future, you can ask what type of well it is, and what type of pump, and how deep the well is. The seller _better_ know these things, or be able to locate well person who does know. In the past few decades many states keep records of these things. You need to ask questions on disclousures like this.

Costs will depend a great deal on which type & how deep the well is.

Me, it would be a big bonus to have a deep well with the pump missing, pay less for the land, put in a good new one with the savings, and know you have a dependable source of water for the next 15-25 years, no fuss no muss. Sure beats paying full price for the land & having to put in a new pump in 2 years when the old one fails.... You might be overlooking the benifits of slight 'defects' of a new property???? :)

--->Paul

13. akmyilee

rambler thank you so much for the information that helped alot. After looking at the property that said well is on we aren't intersted simply based on location. It is about 100 ft behind a biker bar, now I don't have anything against bikers but I don't really want a bar of any sort playing loud music or driving their loud hawgs down my lane when I am trying to put my kids to bed. With that said, we are wanting a well on whatever property that we end up with and I have learned alot from this post. Thanks to all :) Amie