Well Pump

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Susan Mary, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

Okay my family insisted on filling an above ground pool from the well. Ran very slow for six hours no problem then it stopped working it is not burnt out just will not hold a prime.

We have a call in for help but seeing it is Sunday we don't expect a call until Monday.

I know not think trying to work a well pump this hard was the right thing to do but they keep telling me I was worring for nothing.

Just need some thoughts on what to try other than changing out the pump.

Thank you for your help! Susan

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The underground reservoir may have just ran dry, if so this is a temporary situation. You just have to wait for it to refill from its source. Give it a couple of hours and try again. Is your pump submerged or at the surface? A surface pump may need repriming, there is a usually square plug at the top where you install water. Water in, close the plug airtight and start it again.

If the pump drew out the settling in the reservoir area there could be enough abrasion to have damaged internal parts, has this well ever failed before?

We need a lot more details to be able to help.

3. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

I'm assuming your pump is a jet pump, above ground? You might have dropped the water level in the well enough to cause the pump to suck air. If that's the case, you might have to re-prime it. You ought to have enough water in the pool to use to get the pump primed.

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a pump that worked Great----Unless it lost prime------Then the ONLY way I could re-prime it was to hook it to my neighbor's pump with water hose's. As soon as it got some pressure on it--It would prime. The Foot Valve was bad so ALL the water I poured into it to prime---just went out the foot valve. I did replace the foot valve some time later because EVERY TIME the power went out and the pressure dropped to zero--it lost prime. The way I hooked the hoses together from my neighbor house was--using his closest spiket to my closest spiket was using a washing machine hose on one end. If you don't have a close neighbor--you could rig a pump to a water tank in the back of a truck---or whatever. Good Luck. Randy

5. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

We did what we cud just wud not hold the prime. In the end we had to call the well/pump company will let you know what was wrong.

Thank you for the information which you provided.

Susan

6. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

Keep us posted, this is situation that we could and very well will be in someday. good luck.