well pump woes...

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Slev, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

well, I guess it's time to deal with it. This past winter I froze up my well pump, ...again! I think I've gone through about 5 or 6, maybe 7 in the last 12 years that we've lived here. (All for various reasons, and sometimes they were not not me fault) Anyway, this past winter was my last attempt at an above ground pump, worrying about keeping a light bulb going, heat tape, whatever... So I bought an in the well jet pump, but the way I hooked it up this past winter, I have to either plug or unplug the thing every time, or turn off the main breaker at the box. (It is direct wired, or something like that) So, does anyone know how I can hook up the old air tank and pressure valve to the underwater system so we can just have the water run from the faucet when we turn it on?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Slev, the task you are wanting to do is not difficult. You will need a pressure switch and the existing tank. It would be preferred for the tank to be the bladder type. Take the plumbing from the pipe leaving the well casing and plumb it to the tank. At the tank area install a tee in the same line just referenced above and mount the pressure switch in the tee. Additionally install a fitting that will permit you to continue the plumbing on to affix same to the house distribution plumbling. At the pressure switch install the "Hot supply wires" to the line terminals. From the load terminals connect the wire that carries power to the pump. Set the bladder tank to 2PSI below the low pressure setting on the pressure switch. Turn the power on and the pump should run and fill the tank until the preset pressure is reached and then the pressure switch should open and disconnect the pump power. The bladder tank will be charged with water and should feed the house plumbing making water available as needed. The system should operate unattended as desired. :)

3. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Not sure what kind of pump you are refering to. A jet pump the motor sits at the top of the casing somewhere, and you'll have two pipes running down into the well with the jet near the bottom.

A submersible pump has the pump near the bottom of the well with one pipe coming up out of the casing.

How deep is your well?

4. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

oops, agmantoo was writing as I was. Did a better job of explaining it than I would have. :)

5. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

thanks for the help, I'll give it a try on Tuesday....