well pump/tank help

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by mamalisa, Dec 15, 2004.

1. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

I have a new well pump, and a ?uncertain age? 60 gallon pressure tank. The well ran dry last spring, and I killed the pump in the process, so they replaced the pump.

The pump installer messed up the pressure settings and told me that the tank was toast...well, I didn't have money to replace the tank and so I returned the pressure settings on the pump to normal and its worked.....until this week.

I keep finding the pump on when I wake up? it runs for a while and then cuts off, just like normal, but why is it on? Also, the pump seems to be running longer before it cuts off.

One side point....the pump guy kept letting air OUT of the pressure tank. Would this matter?

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

yes, letting air out of the pressure tank will cause a problem. It really depends on your exact setup but it sounds like your tank is "waterlogged". You need to add some air into the pressure tank. What is happening is that there is very little air in the top of the tank to be compressed when the pump cycles and air is much easier to compress than water. Therefore the pump is compressing water (and barely at that) and must cycle far more often than necessary.

3. silosounds

silosounds Well-Known Member

we had this problem of the pump coming on when we werent using the water and found a leak under ground in a water line supplying our house if the water line is old you might want to check this out Is your well pump submersible or above ground if its above ground you may have a problem with the foot vavle that keeps water from flowing back to the well it could be loosing pressure back into the well.

4. mamalisa

How do I add air back? Is there a certain way to do this? There is a little air thingy on top of the tank, but what pressure do I look for? I never had the book for the tank.....and didn't have ANY problem til this guy came along. Licensed contractor sheesh!

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............Mama , you need to add air to your tank with the pump....OFF...Ok ,
    ..........Next , turn the flip switch , UP and that should turn the Pump motor off, IF it is UP , then just flip it Down , whichever is the Case!
    ..........Next , Turn on a fawcett on your tub and let the water drain out until it is below 40 psi , down to"0psi".
    ..........Next , check the pressure in your AIR Bladder(you know at the valve stem on top of the Tank) with your pressure gauge , should be between 30 and 40 psi.
    ..........Next , Now you need to know the Startup pressure for your pressure switch , which I'm going to assume is 40 PSI .
    .........Next , now you will need an air line to inflate the bladder inside your tank , IF it is less than 35 PSI....If it is around 35 PSI...then , just DONOthing as the Pressure is set about right .
    ..........Turn your flip switch, back on and watch the pressure gauge as the pump fills the Tank and take note at what Psi the pressure switch turns off the pump. This should be around 60 psi . The pressure should remain Constant inside the tank , IF you Don't have a fawcett running .
    ..........IF , the pressure starts to drop while you are watching the pressure gauge there is , most likely a leak in the system some where and will need to be diagnosed by a competent well man , ..fordy... :)

6. mamalisa

thank you! :worship: :worship:

Will try this this evening.....updates in am!

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Bladder tanks have the pressure set at 2 PSI Below the cut in pressure of the pump. If your tank is a non bladder type then you need different instructions.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............agmantoo , is correct . I , should have mentioned that ...IF...you have the OLD STYLE , galvanized , steel tank , it probably won't have the Air Bladder with the valve stem on top like your current tank . If so , the steps to reinflate the air bubble inside of the tank will be different (and more work and inconvenient for a lady) than a newer tank with the Air bladder . If , you have the old style you'll have to have a well man to get the air back into your pressure tank . Good luck and keep us posted when you get the problem fixed , fordy.. :)

9. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

All the pressure tanks around this farm over the years (um, 4 or 5?) were simple pressure tanks, no bladder. Still using 2 of them.

All have had an air valve threaded into them.

You mean some folks _don't_ have these valves on a simple tank? One needs to add air to these on a regular basis, it would sure be silly not to have a schraeder valve on it.

--->Paul

10. mamalisa

Oh Well!

The bad news....the intake jet valve is clogged and there is no way to reach it to fix it. Some wonderful person poured 3.5' of concrete overtop the existing almost impossible to reach setup, so now it is hopeless.

The good news...the deep well 375' or so that I thought was non-working has been running the blessed system all along, and with the addition of a sufficiency of air to the tank--it was totally flat!--and the turning off of the shallow-well pump, seems to be doing just fine.

Now for some more questions: The deep well has a fairly slow recovery. Right now I have a 20 gal pressure tank, hooked to a 60? gal pressure tank (the original tank for the shallow well) but I'd like to get more water storage. Ideas?

11. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

That sure sounds complicated! We better be careful on advise here, as it sounds like you have 2 seperate systems hooked together 'somehow' & are unsure of what is doing which.

Four inches of concrete can be broken up pretty easily, if you want to go after that system.

--->Paul

12. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Purchase as large a bladder tank as your budget will tolerate. Install the tank anywhere you now have water in your system. That will cure your start/stop problems and water logging plus it will provide plenty of water while permitting the well to recover in between consumption.

13. mamalisa

ok, thanks, agman. I love your advice...it's like still having my Dad around to ask questions!

Rambler....now I know how the systems are hooked up. Only cost me $125 for a real well guy to show me....best money I ever spent. It's 3 and a half FEET of concrete, though......