well pump problems

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by TnMtngirl, Jul 13, 2004.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Last week we replaced a condenser,because the pump kept kicking off and on .problem solved till today,fuses blown. replaced them they blew instantly.Our pump has been in use for 29yrs.Now I think we are going to have to pull the pump ,the well is 250 ft or more.any ideas on why the fuses are blowing.DH is a good mechanic and keeps everything working,but he has been sick for the past few days and if we dont have to pull the pump it would be a blessing.I have beans to can and its all falling apart,I keep telling myself "this to will pass".Mary

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Condenser? On a water pump? Would this object have another name, or a description of what it does?

There are so many different pump designs, could you explain yours a bit? Where i live shallow wells are outlawed so I don't even think of them, but I see lots of folks on here still using sand points & so forth. At 250 feet, I assume you have a 4" submursable pump & motor running on 220v. You have a check valve on the top of the pump, 250' of pipe, and then a tank with an air bladder or air cushion. The pump is turned off & on by a pressure switch usually on the pressure tank. There is a small electrical controller box as well.

Does this describe your system?

Many times a problem starts with either the pressure switch not working right or the pressure tank losing all it's air if a simple tank, or the bladder breaking & it gets water-logged if a bladder tank.

I'm not familiar with a condenser.

--->Paul

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I would think the mislabeled part to be a capasitor, a round cylinder shaped item about the size as a flashlight. It is a short term storage unit of electrical energy that allows enought to accumulate to kick over the motor. Capasitors have a weep hole near the wire connection, if there appears to be wetness or bleeding it usually indicates defectiveness.

Any well pump that has served for 29 years is well past it normal life.

4. TnMtngirl

Yes it is as you described,dont know why I called it a condenser.we will be pulling out the pipe and pump today.DH and I have a summer cold and feel bad but we must have water.Our son will be helping us he has helped several neighbors pull pumps in the past.29 years is a long life for a pump we have had no problems in the past,it is a Goulds [sp]pump.Its going to be a long day

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..................A condensor...and...capacitor...are the SAME thing....they\it help start the motor when the pressure switch connects 220 volts to the pump .....fordy...

6. I'd guess that is about right, I was just thinking water issues & didn't think of a capacitor for starting the motor. I always think of a condensor as being on the points of a gas motor - didn't make the connection to a big capacitor. :)

--->Paul

7. TnMtngirl

We got it done,took all day.had to get a tractor with a boom pole to lift out the old pipe.Most of the pipe is still good only about 40ft was rusty from being in water so long.Used plastic pipe this time,so if it has to come out again it wont be a big problem.A friend of ours had new well drilled 2yrs ago,and had given us his old pump which was almost new,also plastic pipe,wires.Total cost to replace was only about 35.00.what a blessing to have water again,even tho its a little muddy.