Well pump info- request

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MSMenagerie, Jun 9, 2006.

1. MSMenagerie

MSMenagerie New Member

Its almost time for digging a well where we are building on our farm in north-central MS. My husband has read a bit on the subject, but consider this my own research contribution. I am not quite sure where to start but here are my questions:
    1) Got any good sites to read up on about well pumps?
    2) 2" or 4" lines pros and cons?
    3) Brand of pump you like and why?
    4) Any other things to consider besides digging it uphill from the septic?
    Thanks, be gentle, I am just getting started with this!

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

1...A 6 inch well casing
    2... The casing to be galvanized steel pipe
    3...A submersible pump with horsepower to match the capacity of the well or if the GPM is 12 or better then a pump for 12 GPM
    4...A larger than average bladder storage tank. This will reduce the frequency the pump has to start, saves wear and tear and electrcity
    5...Any name brand submersible pump (Jaccuzzi or Gould), all USA pumps have the same brand of motor on them, Franklin
    6... decent well cover and a isolation switch for the power at the well
    7... schedule 80 PVC down pipe, torque arrestors and electrical wire ties every 3 feet on down pipe
    8... well to be 150 feet from septic
    9...numerous PVC O ring sealed couplings in the plumbing so that the entire setup can be dismantled without having to cut any lines. Makes servicing less painful and avoid breaking a lot of stuff.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

It doesn't sound like a dug well is what you are asking about. They used to dig a deep hole in the ground until they hit water. They then could lower a bucket down into the water and pull it back up. Some put pumps on them. Most wells nowdays are 4 or 5 inch drilled wells. Up until recent years wells around here were 2 inch pipes drove into the ground. None of the well drilling companys will put down a 2 inch well anymore. The 4 inch or larger drilled wells have a submerged pump that is below the water level in the pipe. These work really well for the most part. As to what brand pump you should buy, I gotta tell you I don't even know for sure what brand my own pump is. The guys that drill the well will also have pumps to sell you.

4. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Around here you typically need a deep well around 250 feet, and these need a submersable pump, and you can only get a usable pump in slightly less than 4 inch diameter.

So, one would _need_ a 4" casing, but then if any rust, twisting, settling, warpage, etc happens your pump will not fit & you have a mess. So really you need a 5 inch hole. At 250 fee this will give you a pump & supply pipe that supplies around 20 gpm all day long if your water vein can. If you have livestock, irrigation, or other needs, you will need bigger.

If you are talking a 2 inch hole, you are making a different type of well, and need to specify. There are 3 main types of wells (dug, drilled, pounded), and several different common places to locate the pump, depending upon the depth of the well & size of the casing.

Around here the steel went bad in 1974 for well casing, and is a real risk to use in our soil/water type. Rusts through - badly & fast. Well man said all the wells they made in the last 5 years are plastic, blown down with water jet for the most part. Except for a couple govt wells that specified steel casing for archaic paperwork reasons.

You are not _digging_ a well tho, are you as someome else mentioned? These are typically 3 feet or so across, & 50 feet or less deep - tho they can get deeper.

More info on what you are actually making, and we can help more.

--->Paul

5. dave_p

dave_p quocunque jeceris stabit