Well/pressure tank ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Vera, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

I have a question about my water supply set-up. When I go into the well house, I can hear an electric clicking noise, I'd say about 1 click per second, but it's not entirely consistent. Sometimes, it clicks, sometimes it doesn't. Anyway, I followed the sound and it comes from something down at the pressure tank. Also, when I run water, whether it's in the house or at the faucet in the well house, the water comes in swells (best way to describe it), not very visibly so, but you can clearly hear it and also feel it in the waterhose. This started at the same time I began noticing the clicking.

Short history: I had to have the pump replaced last December, it had quit and the company who replaced it is the same who put the last one in back in summer '98. The boss of the company said that the pump had been hooked up incorrectly (to the electric box) and that's why it wore out and broke... so, naturally, when they sent me a bill for $900-something, I went to the office and said that I won't pay that since the replacement had been necessary because of THEIR incorrect work as stated by THEIR boss. Offered to pay a percentage of the bill, but haven't heard from them since. Let sleeping lions lie, right, so I'd rather not call them and ask them to come out here and take a look.

Anyway, I'm wondering if this "incorrect hook-up" of the previous pump could possibly have had some impact on something else in the system and is what makes the clicking noise now and what makes the water run in swells.
    Does anybody here have any idea what the problem might be and if I can fix it?
    IF this is a pressure tank problem in the making, I'd rather get it fixed or fix it myself before I end up without water again... it's very difficult to find someone here who'll come and fix a well or components in a timely fashion, and hauling water for a good week or two isn't much of an option for me.

Help, please?

Thanks,
    Vera >^..^<

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you have a deep well pump, or a shallow well with the pump on the surface, or is this a supply pump that only pressurizes the tank like from a cistern? Kinda hard to tell from what you've said.

Anyhow, when no water is being used anywhere & the tank is pumped up, there should be no movement of water or electricity or pump or anything. Everything should be stationary.

Something's not right. But then, I'm telling you the obvious, and not really helping any at this point yet... :eek:

--->Paul

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Your Pressure Regulator might need adjusting.That is what you are hearing is it kicking your Pump on when your Pressure drops down.Sounds like your Pressure is dropping too fast.I'm not sure but you might need to Burp your Bladder.I know my Neighbor has to every so often.

My wife usally takes care of this stuff,but she is in Bed right now.Maybe someone else on here knows what I'm talking about and tell you how to fix it.

big rockpile

4. Brad

Brad Active Member

Your pressure tank is waterlogged and causing the well pump to hammer. If the pressure tank is a bladder type, check it's air pressure, if it is not, drain it completely and then refill it.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................You need to determine what style of pressure tank you have . The old style, galvanized tank, has an air bubble that resides inside the tank that pushes the water back out when the pump isn't running . The newer style tanks have an Air Bladder that you inflate thru a valve stem just like an inner tube in a car tire . Look on TOP of your pressure tank and the Valve Stem should be hidden under a black cover . Remove the cover and check the Air pressure in the Tank WITHOUT the PUMP running . MOst pressure switches are setup on a 40\60 psi system . 40 psi is the low side which turns ON the well pump and 60 psi will automatically turn the Pump OFF . IF....you have lost air pressure inside the Tank the pressure switch maybe continually trying to energize the pump motor which insn't going to function properly . That , is probably what the clicking ...is. There could be other problems as well . You really should call a Pump service pro to evaluate your problem . YOU....don't NEED a well Driller!!! They will probably make a service call for 75 or so and you don't have to necessarily let them fix your problem , Although if they have to come back they may want to charge for a Second service call.....fordy... :eek: :)

6. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

As mentioned this could be caused by incorrect pressure in the pressure tank. The way to check it is to drain the water from the pressure tank then put a tire gauge on the valve stem. It should read 28# if it is correct. Adjust to 28# and turn the water on to see if that solved the problem. If that is not the problem I would move on to the pressure switch. This is the electrical connection to the pump. Mine has a black plastic cover with a nut holding it on. There is also a small plastic hose (1/4") connected to this. If that hose is plugged the switch won't operate properly. If none of that works I would replace the pressure switch. They aren't very expensive and easily installed. Should have three wires coming in from the house wiring and three going out to the pump motor terminals. One of these things should solve the problem.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Vera,
    You are on the path to damaging your pump motor. Turn the power to the pump off and only turn it on when you need water until you get it repaired. To determine without tools if you tank is water logged or if it is a diaphragm type, a defective bladder, let the well pump up to cutout condition. Have all faucets closed during the pumpup. Shut the power off and open a faucet an measure the amount of water you can catch. You should get several gallons minimum. 5 would be normal for a small tank. It is also possible that you have a defective check valve or that the pipe from within the well to the tank has a hole in it. Continuing to let the pump cycle in the rapid manner will damage the unit and increase the expense of the repair. If you have a bladder type tank and the bladder is defective get the largest replacement tank your budget can tolerate. Doing so will prolong the pumps life while giving you improved water delivery.