Well pressure switch settings

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by moopups, Oct 29, 2006.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its the usual type, with the two stems with springs. I need to set the cut on/off pressure higher but it has been so long since I've messed with one I do not remember the set up, there is no decal under the cover.

Am I correct that the bigger adjustment controls the cut in pressure and the small one changes the pressure range? Presently the gauge states its cutting in at 25 and out at 30. It takes me about 40 seconds to draw a glass of water; there is no air valve on the tank - so it will have to be recharged via draining if necessary.

2. idahodave

idahodave Well-Known Member

Assuming you've got a Square D switch...

Checked my spare:

Big nut=Cut-in point, down for higher pressure

Small nut=Differential for cut-out, down for higher

3. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

The presure may not be the problem. Start by removing the screen on the end of you faucet and cleaning it. Then you may have a restion in the line. You can check this by going to the pump and instaling a faucet then if that one is puting out more water then you hae other problems.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Did the faucet screen first, checked the deep in the cabinets valve, looked at all visible piping, apparently there is constriction hidden or disguised elsewhere unless the tank is waterlogged. Will do the full drain tomorrow, allowing a recharge of air into the tank.

5. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

waterlogging will not cause a slow flow of water, just make your pump cycle of and on very fast, not a good thing......

And idahoDave, i believe you are right on your post.....

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

mo, if the well is a low volume one the waterlogged tank will impact the amount of water delivered. The captive pressured air can and will deliver more water over a short period than the well pump can supply.

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Well-Known Member

True agman...if its a little tiny half gallon per minute pump or somthing really small such as that......which MOST wells are not. When my pressure tank water logs (its an ol hydropneumatic design, or non- bladder ) It is very obvious, you can tell by the pressure of the water rising and falling more rapidly, especially in the shower..... And the hi-low cycles get faster the more it water logs.....my pump is a submersible 3/4 HP......when it gets really bad, i NEVER lose pressure.......It just varies up and down quickly as the pump kicks off and on, which agin is a bad thing!!! The pump, even a low volume pump I would think can EASILY fill a water glass in under 5 seconds by itself without the use of ANY pressure tank..........

8. dennisjp

dennisjp dennisjp

It shouldn't take that long with 25 to 30 lbs. How does the rest of the house work???
    Do you have old galvanized pipe??? If so, the may be some debri stuck in a joint somewhere.
    It may take some work, but take the screen out and tap on the pipe with a small hammer, going to the sink at every joint and really good at any ells.
    If that doesn't get it, go to the faucet and take the stem out and let some water run out. Have plenty of towels on hand.
    I have done it by putting a pot upside down over it and releaseing the water the stem slowly, until it comes out and let the water flow for a second, but cut the water pump off before hand, so the pressure will run down as fast as posible.
    This is only if the rest of the house has good pressure.
    It doesn't sound like it is a water logged tank, as hillbilly said. The pump would fill a glass without the tank in place if it were on.
    Also, how long does it take the pump to cycle on and off and then back on again, with the sink on.
    I took a stem and brassed a 1/2 copper fitting to it with the end of a hose bib brassed to that so I could screw it into the faucet so I could put a hose pipe on it and just let the water runn outside while I tapped on the pipes under the house and that worked great.
    After I had fooled with the mess for several months.
    I finally put plastic in. Cheap and easy enough, problem solved.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

moopups, is this a jet or submersible pump?