Well output 3 gallons per min okay?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by outofmire, Dec 21, 2005.

1. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

We finally got our well drilled. He hit water at 75', and then drilled to 100'. We're getting 3gpm there. We're supposed to go back tomorrow and see how far up the water level is and decide whether to continue drilling or stop there.

Here's my reasons for wanting to stop. My neighbor, who lives on the same hill as me, had their well drilled to 200', and their water quality is very poor. Lots of iron, yellowish color... I'm thinking the further we drill, the more of that stuff we are bound to have in the water. It's all shale down there.

Also, saving $1000 sounds good, and we don't need a lot of water right now.

Besides, there's no guarantee that drilling further will increase the rate of flow; the only thing we know for certain is that it will increase our reservoir. It's 1.5 gallons per 1'. It costs $10 to drill each foot, and so that sounds like a lot of money for a reservoir when water tanks only cost about $1/gallon.

Tomorrow, we'll find out where the water level is, and therefore what kind of water reservoir we'll have. We may have 50', which is 75 gallons. And then if that's not enough later, we can always add an above ground cistern with a float switch.

Will that put too much strain on the pump having to come on and off more often?

Thanks,
    Shae

2. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

3 gallons a minute is plenty as long as you have that steady.

3. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

I'd be in 7th heaven with 3GPM. Our well is 400 feet and we get 3/4 (that's three quarter) GPM. Our static level is around 75 feet so we have plenty of reserve. A little over 300 feet of water which is about 300 gallons in a 6 inch pipe.

I wouldn't worry about going any deeper than you have as long as the 3GPM is constant.

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

i have a neighbor that has 0.75 gpm at 500 feet. i think you are ok...even if not its cheaper to add larger storage tanks than to drill for oil.

5. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Normal recommendation for a family of 4 is 2 GPM. Unless you want to water your lawn or garden, or fill a swimming pool, you will be fine.

And yes, a 100 ft. well will normally give the best water. Hopefully you will have a static level of 25 ft. or less. If so, hit your knees, say thank you, and live happily ever after. :)

6. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Congratulations on your "great" well!!!

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

You are good to go with the 3GPM. I strongly suggest that you purchase a nice LARGE WellMate bladder tank as an enhancement and as a pump saver. The pump will not have to run as often with the large tank.

8. outofmire

Well, we do plan to have a large garden, and we have shallow water here. So it's hard to keep the plants happy without watering them more often.

Here's my question. If we need more water later for irrigation, can't we install an above ground cistern with a float switch? What happens when the well goes dry during pumping before the cistern is full? Does it just shut off? Or does it keep trying to come on every other minute when it gets a little more water?

9. Hammer4

Hammer4 Well-Known Member

Consider trapping the rainwater from your roof into barrels and water your garden from that.

10. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

It will run until it burns up if it doesn't have water to pump, if it is like mine. The only time mine shuts off is when it gets enough water to trip the switch.

Yes, catch all the rain water you can.

11. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

There are pressure switches which will turn off power to the pump if pressure drops to zero(or some other low pressure). They can be a nuisance because you have to manually reset them but they can save a lot of wear on your pump and motor(and perhaps save them as well). An above ground cistern can certainly help with low production wells(even though 3gpm is probably fine). Here, the water quality is much better down deeper.

12. mikellmikell

mikellmikell Well-Known Member

Get a flow switch for your pump. Flow stops pump stops timer resets so pump cannot come back on for 2 hours. Thats the setup I had in Montana and it worked fine.

mikell

13. outofmire

Thanks for all the great responses. We had him stop at 100'. We have almost 4gpm and static level is 40'....so that's better than we thought. We are going to install the low pressure switch; the well guy suggested the same thing.

14. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

Maybe you can ask the well guy about hydro-fracturing. They use water under pressure and it cleans out any veins that are smaller, thus usually giving you a higher flow rate. They did that wit mine where is was 3 gpm, after it increased it to 7 gpm. Thanks Chris

15. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I have a question about the above ground tank.
    Do you get hard freezes where you are or is an above ground cistern somethig they do down there?
    We had an in ground tank till we sunk our new well, and it would pump out a lot faster than it would pump in.
    The new well is 400 ft, but puts out over 15 gpm. The pup only runs 12, so hopefully we won't get ahead of it.

16. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We get 60 gpm of very hard, very clean water! Tank fills in seconds!

17. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Another option; My 100 foot well pump (240vac) fills my 350 gallon unpressurized storrage tank. From that a DC pump- with a 80 gallon bladder tank- pressurizes the house.
    I flip the switch to fill the big tank only as needed.
    These tanks are in an inground insulated "water house".

18. outofmire

I assume your well flow is able to keep up with the well pump? Otherwise, how do you keep from running your well dry while filling your storage tank.

19. Jim-mi

Jim-mi Well-Known Member

Good question. Yes I have a very good source. In your case a smaller lower output pump should be used. And of course run dry controls and auto shutoff. Advantage of a system, like mine, for you is that you can "program it" to be topping off the big tank while there is no demand for water. Then when your demand is high---toilet, showers, washing clothes, etc. all in a short time frame, a big tank will supply your needs.
    I dought that most well drillers are aware of the huge variety of pumps available today. They like to sell big and bigger pumps for the allmighty $$$$$ profit.