Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used some alkanet to color some soap yesterday and it has been wild ride. The infused oil itself is a lovely beet red. After adding it to my gm soap it turned deep purple -I was expecting this since the gm is alkaline- a couple of hours after molding it turned a scary shade of deep robins egg blue. This a.m. it is a grayish lavender and when I cut it the inside was green! As the cut edges are drying they are turning the same color as the outside of the soap. Boy... this has been fun! Can't wait to see what is next. Good thing that these are experimental bars.....

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
I infused OO with alkanet - I'm too ascared to use it though!!! I've heard of folks getting everything from grey to green to red to black with it!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MullersLaneFarm said:
I infused OO with alkanet - I'm too ascared to use it though!!! I've heard of folks getting everything from grey to green to red to black with it!!
Mine was infused in canola oil for about a week. I make small 2# test batches so I wasn't afraid to play with it. I'm going to try it again next week and see what I come up with! Right now it looks like it has settled into a greyish dark lavender.....lynpea

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Did you take pictures? I'd love to see them. I use alkanet in a swirl in one soap & have only ever gotten the grayish lavender. I'd love to see the robin's egg blue and know how to keep it that way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I infused alkanet root powder in OO and have tried 2 batches. You can see my results on my flickr site. On page 3 are the pics of the "Purple Berry Swirl" I used too much of the color and it turned out dark purple. Also, I think the fragrance accelerated trace so instead of a swirl, it's kind of a "glop" LOL On page 2 I have pics of my "in the pot" swirl and the finished bars. This time I colored less soap and poured at thinner trace. Used less alkanet root infusion too. It made a pretty swirl. In the pics it looks a bit brownish but really it's that grayish purple everyone is talking about.

Go see the pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/page2/

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts