Well, Lordy, Lordy...........

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, Nov 18, 2005.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

...........I do believe that's Rhett (Frankly my dear, I don't give a dang) Butler coming down the drive now. Quick tear down those dusty green velvet drapes, I need a new dress. He can't see me like this.

Just think of the heating bill on this baby...................
    http://www.landandfarm.com/lf/asp/full_new.asp?id=53987

But white peacocks running around the property would sure look nice.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

former home of John Lee Pettimore ? quite the house!whats the thing out the roof? pigeon house?

3. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Good Lord, that's an ugly house! Some people have more money than taste.

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Hee Hee...someone's been listening to Steve Earle!

Someone totally ruined the inside of this house. There's no history left!

This house is to "hill country" to be visited by Rhett or Scarlett. This is more their style:

[​IMG]

Oak Alley Plantation in Southern Louisiana.

5. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

We actually have been looking for property throughout this area. I looked at that house on Hop Anderson Lane. It's a trailer on the top end of 11 acres of goat bluff land!

Hop Anderson

The one you have posted says it was built in 1999! The Leprechaun green kitchen just doesn't tickle my interest. :rolleyes:
    Gone With the Wind

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Granted that they made lot of design mistakes here, especially in the interior and that roof cupola homage to Mount Vernon is really bad, though the view must be spectacular. BUT, their intentions were good. Its a fairly common vernacular form for a house in the South. The two story porch is great, the metal roof is appropriate and the scale of the whole building isnt bad at all. Nice big windows unto the verandas is historically correct and a smart idea. But the columns are way too slender, but if you beefed them up and built some decent railings. A real chimney on each end gable would add a nice touch and flank them with windows so you dont have those blank walls and a nice single story veranda across the back would make this house look a whole lot better. And a few small scale trees in front, magnolias or maybe some nice fruit trees to soften the landscape and the starkness of the house. Its a dramatic site and the house has some presence. The interior spaces are really nice and big, look at the light and the ceilings, but the decor..well speaks for itself. 185K for a 3000sqft new house on 5 acres with that view is not a bad price. I dont know the price of land but even if you divide the whole price by the sqft. thats $61/sqft. Thats a deal. I wonder why its so cheap and why they are selling. I wonder how wet that spot gets in a good rain with runoff down that hill to the left and a creek. And there must have been a sale on porch lights...there are six on the front porch. Still imagine this house fixed up and decorated tastefully for christmas. If I had 185 k I'd sure go take a look at it :)

This is what it might look like with a bit of work:

[​IMG]
    EDGEWOOD somewhere in Tennessee

[​IMG]
    BULLARD HOUSE kentucky

Note the blank end walls, historical but still better with windows I think.

7. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

I agree with Folio Mark. The place definitely needs some landscaping to give it a sense of history. It just looks like it was dropped into place. It doesn't fit, but that could be helped with some trees and plant materials. When house shopping, the first thing we learned is ignore the decor. Paint, furniture and window treatments are easy things to change. I will admit, the cupola thing is weird.
    It is a very good price for a house that size. Or at least it would be here, and housing prices are pretty cheap here. I agree, I wouldn't want to pay utilities for it. With a few fireplaces or wood stoves heating wouldn't be too bad, but AC would eat you out of house and home.

8. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I like your critique FolioMark. With your suggestions, it would look a lot better. I think the dormer windows are a bit over the top. I love the historical photos.

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

No windows on one end could suggest cold north winds. But, on both ends, suggests to me that the house isn't all that. The total square footage is not given. I'll bet it's not as big as you think, and that one photo of a bedroom is the biggest bedroom. Stairway needs to be a little wider. No formal dining room, refrigerator is in the dining area, suggesting that the kitchen is small. A small kitchen, especially in relation to a big house screams poor design. I see these houses go up all the time. People are impressed with certain things, like a cathedral ceiling, or nice master bathroom, but the big houses are often built poorly. Look at the back of the house- no windows on the lower level.

10. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

The uneven terrain suggests standing and flowing seasonal water and the house sits a little low for my comfort. Still, I like the place.

The interior is hideous! It would cost a small fortune to restore it to its former natural glory.

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

Well to start with there isnt any "former glory" to restore, its quite obviously a new house. The more I look at it, I wonder if it isnt a sort of two story double wide, which would explain the blank end walls. But it isnt a small house. For example, the living room must run front to back. The windows are easily 3 feet wide, 2 of them is 6 feet and equal space on each end and between, so the room is at least 15 feet wide and almost double that in length. Most double wides are between 24-28 feet wide. The house is symmetrical so thats 2 x15 and a central hallway at least 6-8 feet wide looking at the staircase. So one floor is say 28x36,which is 908 sq ft. Times 2 stories is 1816, plus the 3rd floor which must have some usable space because of the dormers and it provides access to the cupola. Sooooo. maybe 2500 sqft tops...but still a lot of house for the money and 5 acres. If I lived near there, Id certainly go take a look.

12. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

The house was built in 1999. there was no former natural glory.

The other listing of the same house that starwalker posted said it was 3400 sq ft.

13. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

How much is the "particial basement" worth?

I think it would look quite nice without the crow's nest and dormers and with a chimney at each end (like a real farmhouse! lol). Needs some gingerbread too, the porch decoration isn't very ornate.

14. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

Dang: I didnt even see the other post with the complete listing. 3400sqft. first floor master suite and bath if i read it right. Couldnt be more perfect for me.
    Now if they would come down in price. :sing: But it looks like it is an all electric house. Electric heat would send me to the poor farm. But still. With a bit of retrofitting......Wheres Hillham Tn.?

15. sweetbabyjane

sweetbabyjane Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey FolioMark,
    Weren't some of the old houses built with no windows in the end walls so hidden rooms could be constructed?

I'm with you, though, I like lots of windows.
    SBJ

16. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

Actaully Sweetbabyjane, that blank end wall is fairly common in the south as it was usually where the fireplaces were built. Look at both of those old pictures I posted. In New England it was more common to build the chimneys in the center of the house or parallet to the ridge beam. That kept all the heat in the house and in the case of center chimney houses created a heated mass that staid warm, an essential consideration in the snowy north. This is the Whitman House in Farmington Mass c.1712:

[​IMG]

End chimney houses often flanked the fireplaces with closets or small staircases hidden in the paneling. Often in the south, the chimneys are outside the wall
    and in larger houses, there might be two fireplaces with a small room between them called a pent.

[​IMG]

LAUREL GROVE, FAULKNER MARYLAND

[​IMG]

WILLIAMS-WATERS HOUSE(?) WILLIAMSBURG VA

17. starwalker

I am here in the area the house is. Actually it is located in an area most would call BFE. To go to work it would be quite a drive let alone the grocery store. Each and every day. Clay County has not caught up with Jackson County prices yet.

Actually, I know it has a lot of sq footage but the price is way high for the area it's in. It's in a "holler". Which does not mean there's any possibility of flooding but moisture and mold are an issue to think about. We own a "holler". I had to bleach mold all the time off the walls. Dry, but the year round humidity is a killer.

If you want the middle of nowhere. This is a good choice.

18. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

That house looks sorta...cobbled up. Like,maybe it needs some repairs or finishing off. Which is odd since it's such a new house. I do think it's pretty...it's unique and the surroundings could be beautiful.

Starwalker..I think the "Hop Anderson" listing is very pretty...looks nice and clean.

19. palani

palani Well-Known Member

Cupolo on top could be a widows walk or the servants bedroom.

20. starwalker

It is very pretty. We are looking for horse property. We actually only live a mile...maybe closer to Hop Anderson. So we went to look at it. The pics are very nice and shows it very well. Problem for us is the land is at a 45 degree angle! Straight down. Not good for horses at all. And there's nowhere for my chicken coops. The back yard looks like a good size but the pics show it larger than it is. It's very close to the back of the house. Then straight down.