Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where to find a cordory , preferably red, but other colors will possibly do flap cap? It has a flap that folds back inside the cap which is lined with something soft, and it has the flap cap part that ties on top with ribbon or something.

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No on the first. The second ones close but I don't think it has the flap that folds inside when not used. I used that flap a zillion times more than the top flap, tho I have used the top flap a few times. Thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
13,670 Posts
Bill,

You have to search for Elmer Fudd style caps and you will find many styles of hunting and winter patrol caps. The caps with fold down ear flaps are still popular in Wisconsin and Michigan by sportsmen from what I have read so maybe members from those states may help you refine your search.

Here is one I found in an online search for about $50 but some advertise them for $20 or so.

http://www.stormykromer.com/products/the-original-stormy-kromer-cap.asp

If you do decide to order from an online source I would suggest that you find the toll free customer support line of whatever vendor you choose to call and talk to them. The customer service page for the vendor of the cap shown above is at
http://www.stormykromer.com/

if you decide to investigate into their product further.

·
Saltine American
6,580 Posts
Bill,

You have to search for Elmer Fudd style caps and you will find many styles of hunting and winter patrol caps. The caps with fold down ear flaps are still popular in Wisconsin and Michigan by sportsmen from what I have read so maybe members from those states may help you refine your search.
Didn't the Handyman on Newhart wear one??

Elmer Fudd Style Hats

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Hey Bill, I know we've tried every year to find you one of those caps, but I've never even found one that sounded like what you described. I never understood exactly what you meant about the ear flaps.

But, I think I might have finally found the right style, if not the right color or fabric, lol. Is this at least the right style?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Tie-To...-/201211281203?pt=US_Hats&hash=item2ed9207f33

It has the ear flaps that tie on the top, but then it also has the smaller ear flap strip that folds up inside the hat. If this is the right style, I finally have something to go on, so I might come closer to finding one in red corduroy. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Bill,

Here is one I found in an online search for about $50 but some advertise them for $20 or so.

http://www.stormykromer.com/products/the-original-stormy-kromer-cap.asp

If you do decide to order from an online source I would suggest that you find the toll free customer support line of whatever vendor you choose to call and talk to them. The customer service page for the vendor of the cap shown above is at
http://www.stormykromer.com/

if you decide to investigate into their product further.
I love my Stormy Kromer hat.
It seems like they do not offer one like I have now.
I keep getting people that want to buy it from me.
They have a light blue plaid one but mine is a darker blue plaid cap.
I have only used the ear flaps a few times but each time they really kept my ears warm.

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$15. Its the same cap I want, but its grey. If it comes to color V Style, Ill opt for style. Cides, I could always dye it.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I'm not sure how well it would take die Bill, it might come out a muddy looking mess, lol. But we're getting closer!

How's this one for color? When you say red I'm thinking like a bright red. This one looks more burgundy to me, but it says it's red.

http://www.crayhats.com/en/daily-paper-quilted-earflap-cap-red-corduroy-914

It's not the right hat either, just checking for the color. It doesn't have the inner ear flaps and it's got a logo on the front, plus it's way high and overseas...but I'm still looking. :)

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, that LOOKS like it. I don't see anywhere I can E Mail them to ask if the hat has an inside flap that folds up on the inside or if it will fit a 24in dia head, OR what 39 Euros is in US, not to mention shipping from Germany.

I mailed the flap question yesterday, and they said it has it, and I did the same today about size.

·
Premium Member
25,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
let me know and ill find out it it has the inner fold up flap, what the cost, and size with shipping is. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I think that may be as close as we ever get Bill. I've used every search string I can think of and looked at thousands of images, but that seems awfully high for that hat, then there's shipping. The cost of the hat at 39 Euros is $49.48 in American dollars. It says the standard shipping to the US is 34.95 Euros, which is $43.47 in American dollars.

So that's a total of $92.95, plus there's also a note that says: *When importing into this country (US) import VAT and customs fees may apply. The cost should be borne by the recipient. So there might be additional fees on top of that. :eek: Is it really worth that just to get a red hat, lol?

You said you contacted them, so I assume that was through their online email contact, but here it is just in case: http://www.crayhats.com/en/company/contact

Their direct email is this: E-Mail: [email protected]

Their phone number is also on that page, but here it is: Phone: +49 (0) 89 543 200 71

I don't know if you can dial that direct or if you'd have to dial the operator and ask for an international operator to make the call, not sure since I've never done it, lol.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the inner ear flaps that fold out, or it would mention them or show a picture, sorry.

Hang on, another post coming...

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
I did come across this hat in my search: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Cord...-/201209694735?pt=US_Hats&hash=item2ed9084a0f

It's an XXXL (8), the biggest size I think. There is also one that is size XXL (7-3/4) if you think you don't need quite the biggest one. There are actually six available in this size, if you wanted more than one: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Cord...-/201211312150?pt=US_Hats&hash=item2ed920f816

This is probably the company that made your red hat, but they've gone out of business. It is corduroy and does have the outer tie-up flaps and the inner fold-out flaps like you want. The only hold-up is that it's not red, lol. They look gray, but the ad says they're tan.

It's $29.95 US dollars if you buy it now, plus shipping is $16.68. You can also wait until the bidding ends and hope to get it for $16.95. You probably stand a pretty good chance of winning it, but there is always the possibility of someone buying it out from under you.

It also says there's an import fee of $10.85. I don't know if that applies to the US or not. It says it will show up in the final purchase. Maybe someone on here would know. It's from Canada.

If you just can't handle the tan, you MIGHT be able to die it, but don't quote me, lol. If you decide to go that route, ask for help first because there are a few tricks to get a better outcome and to set the dye so it doesn't wash out real fast. I'd just settle for the tan, but I know how badly you've been wanting that red one. :) Oh, and if you DO decide to dye one, do NOT buy dye that says "RED" because more than likely you'll end up with an apple or fire engine sort of red. You'll need a sort of maroon, burgundy or wine colored dye.

Anyway, this is closer to what you're wanting than the other one and is cheaper. If it was me, I'd go this route and forget the German one. Sorry I couldn't do better for you, but I think all the red hats have either been worn out or are hiding in the back of someone's closet, and the chances of catching one on sale somewhere are pretty slim. I sure hope this helps. :)

P.S. Just for comparison's sake...I ran across an old newspaper ad, and these corduroy hats sold for $1.19 in 1946. :D Whew!! Sorry for writing a novel, lol!

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Woo hoo! Glad I found something you can live with. It's about time, after all these years, lol! :)

On the largest size, there is only one in that size, and the bidding ends Monday, but it looks like the smaller size is ongoing until they sell out. If you really want the larger one, go to the eBay page and scroll down until you get to the "Ask a Question" link. Click on it and send them a message. Tell them you're on SS and won't get your check until Wednesday and ask if they'd consider holding it for you. Some people will, some won't, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

When you get it, you'll have to post a picture so everyone can see what you've been looking for all these years. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts