Well, It Rained...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by LiberalCountryBoy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. LiberalCountryBoy

LiberalCountryBoy Well-Known Member

And rained, and rained. And then the wind blew and it blew my corn down!
    I had it up to about four plus feet tall, less than a quarter acre worth. Since it's not too much I figure I'll prop it up with straw tomorrow morning.
    What a year. In the month of May we had two frosts and two days over a hundred degrees in the same month. We are in a drought so the rain was needed but the wind wasn't.
    Ever see a soaked chicken get blown across the yard? :haha: I even went out in the storm and lured them into the coop with a can of corn. Two minutes later they were back out in it. Only got half the amount of eggs I usually get.
    Just finished remodeling the kitchen so a limb punctured the roof right above the sink and the ensuing water dripped right into the sink. Pretty cool eh?

2. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

Well, at least the water went into the sink! I always try to see the bright side... and chickens, they can be so dumb! lol!
    Good luck proping up the corn, maybe it will recover a bit after the sun comes out...

3. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

You don't really have to prop up your corn. It will grow back up on its own, although the stalk will be goose necked. It's common in fields with rootworm damage, and wind of course.

4. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

What is you location? We sure need some rain. Don't care for a storm but some good slow rain would sure be good.

5. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

We live on a farm and the barn is way off from the road. Tried to free range the chickens and guess right where they headed?

You must be a very good liberal country boy to get a catastrophe to neatly drip in the sink.

6. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Well.....I guess if your going to get a hole in your roof yours is the million dollar hole huh :haha: You got really 'lucky' there LOL. As for the corn it should kinda pop back up I would think anyways. Chickens....what can ya say??
    Hope today is better for ya ;)

7. LiberalCountryBoy

LiberalCountryBoy Well-Known Member

Boy, don't you just hate it when you type out an informative reply and hit the submit button only to be told that you need to RE-Login!

Anywho, I am in Alfalfa county Oklahoma. That's north central up near the Kansas border. A little less than a week ago we recieved one of those slow soaker days. Made everything do a growth spurt. Probably contributed to the topheaviness of the plants.
    The neighbors say it always does this when it is time to harvest the wheat. I notice they are out there right now working through the night. Trying to beat the next rain storm I geuss. Poor guys and gals.
    Saturday morning I got out there with a big round bale of straw and propped up the corn. You could practically hear the laughter as the cars slowly crawled by. (Hey Ma, Look at that Liberal fella sweating his butt off! Maybe we should be the fifth person to stop and tell him that he doesn't need to do that.)
    But, I don't care. It is corn for my personal use (and the chickens) and I couldn't live with it all matted down on the ground.
    It looks really good out there waving in the wind. And now it is super mulched with straw, another plus. The intense workout did me good also so it was a good deal all the way around.
    Yep, I thought it was pretty nifty that it dripped directly into the sink. Patched up the roof, replaced the wet insulation and I'll get to that little sheetrock spot later. I recently spent a lot of time and money on the kitchen so I am sorta burnt out on interior construction right now.

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

LOL Good for you Glad to hear everything is working out :cool: :p