Well I'm trying it...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ed in S. AL, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Seen where a few of you decided to start rabbit colonies in a fenced in area, instead of going with the traditional cages. So I had to give it a try. After losing another batch of 8 kits, I decided it was time. So I got a nice 40 by 40 foot area cleaned off and fenced. Built a small coop for them to use if they wanted, and set them free! After a week, the rabbits seem to be happy as larks at their new found freedom. The rabbits have really taken well to the pen idea. I know my girls love it. They can stand outside the pen and watch the rabbits hop around or run, or they can go inside the pen, where their favorite rabbits will run up to greet them and let them pet them. Not to mention the girls have them eating out of their hands. So far I give it 2 thumbs up!

2. Ed Norman

Ed Norman Well-Known Member

I'm interested in your experiment. We are considering doing the same for one reason, winter. There would be one water container to break ice from, and we are done. The trouble I see is the ground is frozen now and they can't make burrows.

How many rabbits did you put, how many bucks? Who fights the most, bucks or does?

3. SueD

SueD Well-Known Member

Question... did you fence UNDER the pen??? Just wondering about when they start to burrow...

I am most interested in details - I can't do it here (in the burbs again), but I'm planning (and planning and planning!!!) for the day when we can move!!!

If I don't have to bury fencing under the pen - that would be WONDERFUL!!!

Best of luck to you - and please do keep us posted!!

Sue

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Ed, I put 1 buck and 4 does'. So far it is working real well. I found a new batch of babies buried in the straw I have for them in a little house. Fat little healthy rascals to. I did not put wire under the edges of the fence. I just ran 1 X 4's around the bottom and stapled the wire to them. They have really fattened up in these past few weeks.

5. poultryprincess

poultryprincess Well-Known Member

I have my buck in the coop with a pair of silkies.( 7 x 11) There is also an outside pen attached with a few small trees & rocks ( 15 x 20 ft) The buck runs, chews on tree bark,jumps on rocks & scampers around & is quite happy. We hated to watch him in the cage, bored & lifeless. When the sun is out this large Californian sunbathes & stretches out. with almost a smile on his face ..it is really a sight! ***question please / you stated that you had a buck with a few females. I was under the impression the buck would "luv" them to death....am I wrong? Are you able to mix them because they are in a straw bale compound? IF the buck can co-exist with the does, what will happen when the bunnies share the space with him? Will he kill the young? I ask only because if they can be mixed, I will get Mr. Bigilsworth a wife right now! ( some wifely nagging will wipe that smile off his face mighty quick!!!!) :eek: