Well I made the move to NC...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Sep 2, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

A month ago, I moved my goats and chickens from Michigan to North Carolina. I am finely back on-line. We've been without the internet for weeks and weeks. UGH! Well, the move went okay. Unfortunately it was 101 degrees almost the whole way. The chickens were panting and so I packed ice bags in the back and changed them every couple of hours. But too bad for the goats, the ice melted and soaked them. They were not happy! But at least they weren't overheating. But you just can't reason with goats. We arrived at night and they were not amused to be put in to a new place in the dark. But now they have pasture and they are settled in. And my CAE and CL and TB and Brucellosis tests all came back negative. YAY!!! Healthy herd! One question...my buckling is nearing 3 months. He was born black and now he's off black and turning reddish and even some white is appearing. I think he is copper deficient (his aunt is, and a copper bolus worked like a miracle!). Can he be at such a young age?

Thanks for all the advice!
    Jennifer

Ps I will be over on the horse board too because i have 2 new Gypsy Vanners! Whew!!

2. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

It sounds like you had quite an adventure! Glad you made it all right, though!

Kathleen

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Congratulations on your new place. Maybe the winters will be a little more warm for you and your critters. Trading the Lakes for the Ocean huh? I wish you lots of luck at your new place. :)

4. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

Yes, 3 month old goat can be copper deficient. Do you have minerals out for them?

5. full sun

Yes, I've always had loose minerals out for them. It's Gold blend from Hoeggers. And now I just switched a month ago to something else made for goats. They also have some grain made just for goats with copper in it. For some odd reason, it isn't enough.

And yes, Milking Mom, we are hoping it will be warmer! The goats endured lots of night in the single digits and less while we were in MI....

Jennifer

6. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Welcome to NC!! What part? Im about 60 miles from the coast near the Greenville area.

7. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

the other cause of copper coat is worm load. my goats coats cleared right up as soon as i wormed them, then made sure i did it again a week later. if you don't do it twice, new ones hatch out of the eggs that didn't die.

8. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

Welcome home :)

9. full sun

Marvella--what did you worm them with? Before I left for NC, I had a fecal check on the mother. She came back negative, so I skipped the worming on everyone.

Jennifer

10. full sun

Thanks Dink! I love it here!

Bearfoot, I am in the mountains, so I am allllll the way over on the other side.

Jennifer