Well I guess she is pregnant, RIGHT!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by ONThorsegirl, Jan 3, 2006.

1. ONThorsegirl

ONThorsegirl Fergusons Family Farm

Well I went down to the barn today and Rexanne was carrying a very large mouth full of straw in her mouth and moving it to different parts of the pen. She hasn't started to really make much of a nest or pull her hair yet, but by the sounds of this she must be pregnant. I put the nest box in and she seems quite interested. I checked on her about 20 minutes ago and no change.

* For anyone who doesn't know my story, this was a "male" rabbit I adopted from the local sheleter, she isn't a male and is of course a female, she wasn't bred purposly but I have 3 males and she escapes every pen I put her in and found her in with the males several times, so I wasn't expecting babies as I only calculated from the first day I saw her with the males, and since there was no babies 30+ days from them I just assumed she didn't catch. Well I guess I was wrong, and I don't know what male it is although I have an idea I have one dominate male who beated up the younger ones to be near her cage even so I'm guessing it is him. The males are all seperated now.

So Questions:
    Did I do a bad thing by adding the nest box in now?
    How close do you think, by the signs, she is?
    She was eatting and drinking when I fed her this morning.

Thanks, Melissa

I will keep everyone updated!

Thanks Again, Melissa

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Melissa, you did a really good thing by giving her the nest box now. VERY GOOD THING. It's also a very good thing that she's interested in it. Make sure she has plenty of hay or straw to make her nest, and she'll take care of things.

I find that when mine are very close, they seem to go off their feed. Kindling (giving birth) is very close then. Some does mess with the nest box for several days before kindling, and some may totally ignore it 'til kindling time. Each one is different.

Sounds like things are right on track at your place. Please keep us updated.

Good Luck,
    NeHi Mama

3. ONThorsegirl

Thank you for the info, I was jsut more worried that it might be to late at putting the nest box in and it would disturb, but it seems that that wasn;t the case.
    Thanks Again,
    Melissa

4. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

It is possible she is having a false pregnancy. I have several does that go through false pregnancies every spring. They make nests and pull fur but I know they were never bred. They even carry straw around, it's so cute to watch. Still, best to be safe with putting in a nest box and checking for kits.

5. ONThorsegirl

I hope it isn't a false pregnacy, She looked bigger yesterday tahn what she ever has she drank alot too, I don't know if that mean anything but anyways.
    I'm heading over to the barn right now to do the chorse, I will keep everyone updated.

Melissa

6. ONThorsegirl

Well There is nothing new today, no further on a nest, no fur pulled. Nothing, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Melissa

7. ONThorsegirl

Still Nothing, I hope you aren't right Dan, I was realyl looking forward to babies.

Melissa

8. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa ,,

Don't give up yet ,,,, over the last 4+ years I've had about 15 does ,,

with most of them ,, I'll breed ,, around day 27 - 28 ,, I'll put the nestbox in filled with straw ,,

the day I put it in ,, does will be real nosey ,, exploring the box and moving straw around ,, then ,, they'll lay around their cage ignoreing the nestbox till time to give birth ,, that is when my does have pulled fur ,, at birth ,,,

but NOT Spotty ,, on about day 23 - 24 ,, she goes hormonal :nana: pulling her hay from her hay rack ,, starting to build her nest ,, I 'have' to put her nestbox in early or she'll waste hay for days :shrug:

once I put her nestbox in ,, filled with straw & I put extra in the cage so she can 'build' ,, she 'fixes' for a day or two ,, moving the straw around ,, she'll create a nesthole inside the straw filled box ,,

then she ignores the nest till the day she gives birth ,, she don't pull fur till she gives birth tho ,, I've read that some does will pull fur early ,, before they give birth ,, but none of mine ever have ,,

Since you have her in a pen filled with straw anyhow ,, she may be like Spotty and is just building 'early' ,, did you write down the 'last' day that you 'know' a buck found his way into her pen ?? also she may be a doe that carries her kits longer ,,,,,,

Spotty will have her kits on day 30 more often than on day 31 ,, my other does mostly had kits on day 31 - 32 (morning breedings tend to be day 31 - afternoon breedings day 32 :nerd: ) MMM ...

but .. I had 1 B NZ doe ,, she drove me insane every time I bred her ,, she would go to day 34 ,, and once to day 35 :flame: I knew the huge hussy was pregnant ,,, she would just sit there and look at me ,, like GO away !!

the only time I've had does pull fur 'early' was with 'false' pregnancys ,, Spotty and Harli both did that the last time I bred ,, on day 17 both built nice nests ,, so I knew it was 'misses' ,, I rebred and they took ,,

If I could just get hubb to butcher ,, I would rebreed both of them again lol ,, I swear I can see that Spotty is fatter ,, and I'm trying to ration her diet ,, :sing:

9. ONThorsegirl

Thanks Tucker for all the info, I'm not giving up, the onyl thing I will do is jsut let her live out her ways in the cage. If she kindles she kindles, if not I guess she never took. I have heat lamp ready to use, it is getting as cold as -25 these past few nights.

I'll just wait it out,

Melissa