Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys Im new here. So I had a well gauge freeze last cold snap. I have since insulated the well house with 3/8 foil faced foam. We purchased a thermostat outlet and a small ceramic heater. Since both have a thermostat do you think one could be eliminated? SW Arkansas by the way.
Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
IME, those ceramic heaters have a terrible "thermostat". You set them to maintain one temp (checked several times a day via remote temperature sensor) but when the outside air temp changes, the ceramic heater thermostat doesn't keep up. I've had heaters kick on at 50°f but fail to come on at 35°f. The thermocube helps, but isn't that great at detecting air temperature either. Mine has failed to engage at temps well below 32°f which has caused me to run outside, late at night, to adjust temp settings more than once.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IME, those ceramic heaters have a terrible "thermostat". You set them to maintain one temp (checked several times a day via remote temperature sensor) but when the outside air temp changes, the ceramic heater thermostat doesn't keep up. I've had heaters kick on at 50°f but fail to come on at 35°f. The thermocube helps, but isn't that great at detecting air temperature either. Mine has failed to engage at temps well below 32°f which has caused me to run outside, late at night, to adjust temp settings more than once.
Do you think heat tape is a better option? I noticed that they have a little thermosta also. At least the ones I looked at.

· Premium Member
34,824 Posts
I don't know what all is in your well house so I don't know if heat tape would help. If it's just the water lines and no pump or tank, then heat tape would be okay. If the tank or pump is in the well house, the little heater is better than freezing.

I saw something I considered getting but hubby said it wouldn't be real safe. I saw a remote control operated power outlet that you could turn on or off with a remote. But it was rated only for 15 amp and my heater is really close to 15 amps.

Do you have a remote temperature sensor in the well house?

· Premium Member
13,593 Posts
I would insulate it well and not worry about a heat tape. If the water goes straight down it should not freeze because the well water should circulate by convection.

· Registered
251 Posts
We use something very similar to this. We set it at the very lowest possible temperature. We check it a few times after we get it set up just to make sure that it’s working correctly. It keeps our pump house just warm enough to keep it from freezing. We have never had a problem. The one we have has an adjustable knob to turn up and down and we leave it on the lowest setting of the low setting.
Product Font Screenshot Parallel Multimedia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts