Well House Heater

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by modineg44, Nov 18, 2007.

1. modineg44

modineg44 Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for a well house heater that turns on/off automatically? The well house is about 6 x 6 feet and has an electric outlet inside. Now I use a heat lamp.

Nancy

2. tomstractormag

tomstractormag Well-Known Member

How cold does it get there? We had a well house in NY that was only heated by a 60w bulb. Never froze. Not unusual to be minus 15 to 20 degrees F. Tom

3. Liese

Liese Namaste

We used heat tape on the pipes above ground level in our well house - temps can get into the teens & 20's for a week or so - worked fine.

4. BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

I used to use my four bulb brooder. I put a 15W bulb in the socket that was energized all the time and 40W bulbs in the sockets that cycled on and off. I set the wafer thermostat at about 30 degrees. It worked well because when I needed it for pump house duty it wasn't being used for brooder duty. :baby04:

5. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you insulate it and seal it well, it will take less heat to keep it above freezing.

I think that the heater tapes that have the built in thermostat would be an efficient way to keep it from freezing, in that they only come on when it gets hear freezing, and the heat is applied right where you need it.

If the pump house gets some some sun, you could add a simple solar heater and avoid paying for electricity -- maybe a tiny version of this one?
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/solar_barn_project.htm
    Costs about $2 per sqft.

A hundred watts on 24/7 is about 900 KWH a year or $90 at 10 cents a KWH.

Gary

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

On one of the livestock forums someone mentioned a Thrmocube. It plugs in an outlet and turns power on when temp gets to the preset value, this with a lightbulb plugged into it would heat a well house adequately. If I remember correctly they said they bought it at Lowes for less than $20.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Living here in the frozen north and having a well house ith piping above ground we have struggled for years to keep the pipes from freezing so we could pump water to the holding tanks and then drain the pipes back into the well so as not to waste the water. Last year we used a hair dryer which we would set between the pipe and the well casing for 20 or so minutes before pumping. Our well house is about 4 x 8 feet, well insulated and solar heated when we get sun. Also has a gas generator inside that heats it up as well when running. sis

8. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one of these thermo plugins as mentioned above. You plug it in and then plug a light into it. It is preset to turn on at 35 and off at 42. I use it in an old non working refrigerator to store things like potatoes out in an unheated building in very cold weather. I bought mine at Rural King for under $12.

9. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I have one, with a small plastic heater/fan plugged into it aimed at the vulnerable parts. Has worked fine for me the last five years.

10. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

Something I added to my well house was an indoor/outdoor thermometer. I mounted it outside. That way I could walk by and check the temperture inside without having to open it up. Just an extra precaution!

Kathie

11. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

12. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I'm over the hill in Bozeman.

Something you might try on the well house.

If you go to the thermosyphon style solar heater, it won't lose any heat when the sun is not on it.
    And, if you add some thermal mass in the form of water filled pipes or containers near the outlet of the solar heater, it will store some heat for when the sun does not shine.
    My shop never goes below freezing, and it has no heat other than the thermosyphon solar heater:
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/SpaceHeating/solar_barn_project.htm
    Its lonly $2 a sqft, so you could probably do the whole south wall.

Gary