Well gpm part 2, trickle systems

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by canfossi, Mar 25, 2006.

1. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I have booked the flow rate test for Monday. The people interested in buying my house want to see if the gpm's from my well will support a trickle system? What is this trickle system anyways? I'm assuming it will trickle into my cistern, but how does it work? Hope you can clarify this. Thanks Chris

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

only trickle system i have heard of is a trickle irrigation system. they did not want a bact or metals tests?

3. canfossi

No water test yet, but I'm going to put some bleach down today just in case. There is a thing that you can have well water slowly trickle into a holding tank/cistern if your well gets low sometimes, but I'm not sure what it's called. Chris

4. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

I have friends with what you may be talking about. They had a problem, at times, with demand being larger than their well could provide. They now have a 100 Gal. cistern under the house, with a pump and pressure tank system.
    When water level in the tank falls, a float switch turns in the wel pump
    The well pump pumps water into the cystern
    The jet pump pumps water into the pressure tank. From there its into the house.

5. canfossi

Vicker, that kind of sounds like the thing I am talking about. Do they have a trench from the well to the cistern or is all the plumbing inside the house near the tanks etc? DO you know what the system is actually called? Thanks Chris

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I am unaware of a single name to describe the system you reference. What you would have is a pumped low output well/source feeding a cistern/tank that has a booster pump and pressure tank for the house needs. Many folks in hilly country have a gravity fed spring water similar system that supplies continuous water to the cistern/tank and then that reservoir is used to supply water to a pumped system used to maintain pressure for the house.