well drilling info needed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by 34Case, Dec 5, 2005.

1. 34Case

34Case Guest

Does anybody know how close to an existing bad (suppossedly) drill hole you can redrill. I haad crooks for drillers out here and they drilled a well they said was worthless often enought that I believed it and didnt even have it cased. Then we went way up in my hay meadow amd drilled another one that they finally proclamed was allright. Well, its so far away, im wondering if I couldnt redrill in the origional area thereabouts, and come out money wqise abouot the same when you add the length of pipe and electric to get to the on on the hill

2. TnAndy

TnAndy Well-Known Member Supporter

You could move over a couple feet and drill away.......but if they weren't lying, you might have two worthless holes then !

If they were crooks, couldn't they have just kept on drilling in the original hole ? Why move ?

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

how far away is it a good pump will throw water a long distance

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i had one neighbor drill three times over several years and got nothing but surface water from the nearby stream. i think he didn't go deep enough as another neighbor close by was successful at 675 feet.

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we had to go 450 feet cost a lot but it has good water and plenty of it and we hit it during a drought so we should be ok

6. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

sometimes you will have water in a hole but not a suffeciant amount to supply a house or barn etc. that hole may also just be surface water, only a few feet of water in the hole.

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Why not ask your local water district or those that license the drilling to get their opinion? Why not ask a reputable driller in the area that has done other wells fairly close by? Why not ask local farmers who have wells their opinions?

Why ask strangers scattered over 50 states and several foreign countries?

8. 34Case

34Case Guest

You guys mighta drilled a well close to another supposedily bad one and got a good one, or another bad one. The probable reason why they thought to redrill another hole rather than keep on in the one they was at was, I had a shotgun in the neighborhood as they had already drilled one bad hole, came up salt, and wanted themn th klnow my siniments wasa personal. This ios Okla. If they had went to deep, they might have hit oil ....AND nobody round here owns the mineral rights. Why did I reuse them?? Cause wells are getting to be a thing of the past around here as most people have hooked onto city water and theres not enough of those left who havnt to keep alot of drillers in business

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Case, I contracted to have a well drilled and told the people that I would mark the spot with a stake. I arrived and the well machine was 400 feet from the stake and out in the largest field I owned at the time. Needless to say I as P*****! As a farmer the last thing I needed is something to work around in a field. I asked why they were not drilling where I put the stake and was told they "witched" the area at the stake and there was no water and that they did find some water about 30 feet from the stake but after drilling there they hit a dry hole at 30+ feet. To get away from the problem area they on their on moved out into the field in order to get water. I was still irked and told them they had a choice. "Either pack and leave or go back to where the stake was driven and drill". They stated that was useless! I replied drill there and if you hit the dry hole again I will pay for the drilling and you can leave. Guess what? The next thing they are gripping that they were already down 110 feet and had not hit rock and that the casing price was going to bust them (this was a contract price well). Long story short; they soon hit rock, went a bit further and hit good water.

10. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

This issue may have already been resolved, and my knowledge is crossover from the oilfield, but I'll offer it anyway....

How far to move may depend on the formations downhole. If there has been damage (collapse) of the water bearing formation, you would need to move over more to get into an area that isn't damaged.

I can't imagine that you'd have to move any more than 25 feet or so on a water well, maybe less.

I was going to say "just my two cents," but this one is probably only worth about one. :D