Well Crap! GP dead

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by chickflick, May 11, 2004.

1. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

My wonderful Great Pyrenese is dead. Aparently he died of internal injuries. He was acting weird a little this morning and when my son and I were finally loading him into the truck to take to vet.. he just died.. right there.. :waa:

Sucks.....

Wonder how many FEWER animals I'll wake up to in the morning? *shakes head* Merde.

Poor Rick. Damn drivers!. THIS IS A FRIGGIN COUNTY ROAD>> DUH>>> and right near a corner.. HOW they get going so FAST in 200 ft. AMAZES me! And yes.. I HAVE a fence.. he just thought he had to guard the next three places too and kept getting out a bit.

Damn everything... I can only think of once.. I dunno ... some show when I was little.. somebody somewhere speaking about 'homesteading'/farming, etc.... "It's a hard life".

THANKS for listening. Guess we'll be reworking the fence all summer.

2. cath

cath Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, ChickFlick! That sucks!

We lost "my" dog to a speeding car about a year and a half ago, the AHole never even slowed down to see what he hit!

But, we just got a dog about 2 months ago that is the spiritual clone of my wonderful doggie! It's amazing how many of the same mannerisms she has!

But it still hurts.....

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Sorry for the loss. Great Pyranees are Great Dogs. Not to play devil's advocate, but people who have accidently hit a dog in the road and then stop to try and help have been known to be shot by yahoo hicks. Not saying anyone on the board is that, and granted it is the exeption, but this isn't the 50's, and people do have legitimate fears sometimes. Cattle panels will keep in at least our Pyr. What do you use for fencing?

4. My neighbor had their dog run over years ago. The car owner drove up - nice gesture they thought, no one else ever had - and decided to sue them for damaging the car. Took a long time, his lawyer wanted 3 sides of the car repainted from the 'damages' - the neighbor's insurance went along with repainting 1 side & the bumper, but when it got to 3 sides they sent a letter from the county that there were _no_ leash laws in this county, & being 4 miles outside of the citiy limits they were using for legal guidance they could go fly a kite.

Was the end of that, but what a mess.

Don't mean to sidetrack the issue, sorry for the loss. I lost 3 of them on the road when I was little. It's hard. It's rural life not anyone's fault, that is how things are, but it's hard.

--->Paul

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your dog Chickflick.

Mike

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Our family pet of 5 years was hit by deer hunters the week before thanksgiving. My 9 yr old watched. not fun. They didn't even slow down....

I feel your pain... sorry that this had to happen!

7. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I am so sorry to hear about your dog.

If is is any consolation I have also lost my dog to a speeding vehicle on a country road. Our road is gravel and very rough. It has a speed limit of 35 mph. That is way too fast if you want your vehicle to hold together.

I now have a chi-pom and have to keep her leashed or in the house. She would love to run free, but our fence is woven wire and it will not hold her. I have been wanting a chain link fence but DH says it is just to expensive. I don't think the fence itself would be that much to fence our yard, but we would have to have 2 sixteen foot gates and 2 yard gates and that is what is the most expensive in chain link.

If I ever win a big lottery, I will have it fenced.

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Awww. :( Sorry to hear it. It is never fun to lose an animal, especially a good one. And especially when they require a large hole. Hope he made a large dent in the idiots car.

9. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............I'm sorry for your loss. It's the kinda hurt that you can't take a pill for. My almost 11 year old Akita is slowly loosing mobility in his rearend. Vet says I'll eventually have to put him too sleep or watch him drag himself around on 2 legs. Those GP's are great dogs but they tend to their bizzness and everybody else's as well. Some will remain close in and some are born Hobo's I'm convinced. My next dog maybe a Serval. Beautiful cat from Africia with very Docile personality. About 25 to 30 pounds and can jump strait up about 10 feet. A family in Dallas, tx has one that they have kept as a house cat for several years. They take it for walks in the neighborhood just like a dog!!! I haven't checked into the price but must be rather pricey. Don't know if you can bond with it and let it loose and hope it won't run OFF.....Absolutely beautiful animal..........fordy... :eek: :)
    ................Well, I found a breeder's website and they are 2,000 bucks so I Won't be getting one anytime soon!......fordy.. :)

10. BlueRidgeBabe

BlueRidgeBabe Active Member

I am so sorry to hear about your doggie, chickflick. Know that our thoughts are with you.

11. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Hey, Chickflick, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. Pets are not just animals, they are part of the family like children.

Here in Texas, some of the deadliest accidents happen in the country because people think no one's around so they can speed like they're on the German Autobahn. Worst habit to fall into, I think, because it endangers other lives, not just the driver breaking the law intentionally.

I wish there was some way to help ease the pain for you and your family. Judi

12. chickflick,
    I am the person that you replied to that had the 2 female GP's that we were trying to place late last Dec. Situation is still the same. We will be headed to Texas tomorrow or Friday to see relatives. I don't want to be insensitive to your loss because nothing can replace a pet, but the offer still stands. I do need to know immediately so we can bring them along.
    Just post a message here and I'll check back. i forgot my password again.
    Renee'

13. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer, but as I said... we'll be working on fences all summer. No more animals til every nook and cranny is SECURE.

14. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

15. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry, we lost one recently too and it's like losing one of the family. :(

16. Echo

Echo Member

Sorry about the lost of your Pyr, they are such wonderful animals. Here it's not the cars I have to worry about it's the idots back in the woods with guns one shot my Pyr last month, don't know if it was on purpose or not but he will not regain use of the leg and he wasn't even off his property. Sometimes living in the country is all most as dangerous as the city.

17. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your loss. Good dogs are hard to lose. My sister's dog was hit & killed about 2 wks ago & she called the sheriff & complained about the speeders. She pointed out to him that several dogs had been killed on their dead end road that has a posted 25mph speed limit, & reminded him that children walk along the road all the time. Believe it or not,when she got home from work the next day, there was a patrol car there. She stopped to talk to the deputy & he told her that he was there because of her complaint, & that he had issued 4 speeding tickets that day. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets fixed!

18. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to hear about your dog neighbor. They do drive way too fast on the county roads around here. Worse, I've seen some idiots swerve just trying to hit a dog. I lost the best dog I ever owned(Penny the wonder dog) to a drunk who picked her out as a target. :waa: He had to drive off the pavement to hit her. Still p***es me off years later.
    All of our dog have to be behind fence, not neccessarily to keep them safe , its more for the chickens safety! It'd be nice to have a real livestock dog like a GP who respected the animals. But have rescue boxers, that we love but are a pain when it comes to cattle, goats, chickens etc.

Life is good :) :) :)
    Halo

19. Sorry to hear about your loss. Most people (mostly those without dogs) act like a dog getting killed is no big deal and will act like nothing even happened. But I know that it's really the same thing as losing a blood family member.

Anybody who swerves to intentionally hit a dog should be dealt with just the same as if he hit a child. Beat the living crap out him on the pavement and then send him to prison.

20. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

she was off our property though. she wouldn't hurt a fly though and we're the only ones around here with any type of animals. they just did it to cripple her. She wwent swimming at the pond on the edge of our property . I filed a report with the sheriff but tha's all I can do. I have 2 dogs that love to swim and can't let them out to go ever now. And I'm on the outskirts of town. makes me worry about the kids being out. We now have an 8ft tall privacy fence up to help make sure they stay on their side and us on ours.