Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a community of 8 families on a shared well. Wells out here are very expensive due to the depth, so pretty much everyone shares.

Our current well went dry @ 650 feet -- it's the shallowest well that the well driller knew of in the area, so this was no surprise. We'd been expecting that.

What we weren't expecting (and which shocked the well driller) was that he'd sink a 950 foot $12,000 dry hole. He said he'd never had a well that deep in this area be dry. (Or at least, too dry to work with. The driller estimated less than 10,000 gallons/month from the hole.)

Sigh. Cross your fingers for us ... we're going to try again several hundred feet away (and within 100 feet of a neighboring well that's pumping 11gpm) ... this is getting a tad expensive. :-(

Bad day yesterday. :-(

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Wow, I'm stunned. I can't imagine just having to throw away money like that. I'll say a prayer for you for lots of good clean water.

·
23,497 Posts
Wow that is too bad. Where are you located to have to go that deep? My Dad drilled wells for many years. He was able to use two rods he made from coat hangars to determine where to drill. It always worked for him. He actually had one well where he drilled thirty feet deep and the water starting gushing up out of the hole. He couldn't get it to stop. Another time he drilled about 50 feet and hit good water. He decided to empty it, but it would not empty. He pumped and pumped, he finally figured out that there must have been an underwater cavern of some type.

We had a well that was 60 feet deep and it never went dry until the mine longwalled under us. Now it barely has 5-6 feet of water in it.

I hope your next well works out better. That is a lot of money to spend. Will you still try to use the one that will make 10000 gallons a month? That is still a good bit of water, at least better than nothing! I realize sharing it with eight families cuts down your share a good bit, but maybe you need to use two wells for that many.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the Arizona deserts south of Phoenix about 35 miles. You generally hit good water here at 750 feet, end up with static water around 600-700 feet and then they go a couple hundred below that.

We elected not to case the nearly dry well; that would have been another $15,000 and we still would have had to drill another one and pay for casing it.

We only use around 33,000 gallons/month between the eight houses at peak summer use (everyone here is good about conserving and watching things) so a well that pumps even 1gpm/minute would be sufficient for our needs. If we get one like the neighbor well association's well, which is 11gpm/minute ... woohoo, I can even have my veggie garden again. :) I *miss* fresh tomatoes and fresh spinach.

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Can't refract it?

RF

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
is it worth the attempt to try and drill the current well deeper....or does the lack of water (completely or low yield) in the current well preclude doing this?

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bobk -- the well driller pulled records on all the wells in the immediate area (I gather for a few miles around) and there were no records of anyone hitting potable water below the depth he went to. He also said he was in "bad stuff" -- granite, I gather -- and didn't want to go deeper because he thought he was wasting our money. They apparently hit the layer of clay where they would normally expect to find good water and it just wasn't producing like it should.

Melissa -- they have to case the entire hole here; it's very loose, sandy ground. (I think they said they went 350 feet on the original well before they even hit rock.)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
....I did not mean the new 'dry' well that was just drilled.....I meant the existing well that went dry (650 ft) and started all these problems....

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Ouch!

No chance of connecting to the other well?

Any laws out in 'zona about how close you can drill to someone else's property/well? Within 100' is mighty dang close! If I had my well, and someone drilled one in rock chunking distance of mine, I'd be a slight bit perturbed.

I take it well water that deep is an ancient aquifer?

Anyone bothered with mapping that clay formation? Won't do a bit of good to drill 'close', if your on the wrong side of the slope.

If you do hit water, close to the neighbors, that close you might just kill both wells.

good luck to you,
and remember, you Are living in AZ... and civilizations rarely thrive in deserts... without lots of free flowing water.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
...I agree, texican, it is an easy way to start a nasty 'war'.........hopefully someone has already talked to the neighbors and got the go-ahead nod.......

·
Registered
287 Posts
Melissa, I glad to hear a person of your age mention dowsing my father witched a lot of wells for a driller that couldn't find water. around here now its called old fashioned.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm sorry!

We had our well drilled in 2003. They went 604 feet through rock and hit enough water to stop. We get about 3,000 gal/mo. It cost us $18,000.

My husband set it up so that our well fills the holding tank. We can only let the well run for about 15 minutes before it runs dry. At least Ben and I can take a shower and wash 1 load of laundry a day. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts