Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Zone 6) had ground worked up for Fall Garden.People at the Feed Mill where I bought Garden Seed said now was the time to plant.

I just had a feeling it was too early,so I called the University Extension Office.She said she thought it was ok,but wait until she checked.Well she gets back on the phone says with the information she had to wait until around the middle of August.Like I told her it was probably because it turns off so Hot and Dry this time of year.

So if all else fails go to the experts :shrug:

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
Our extension office has so many great classes; upcoming class called "Cutting Edge Vegetable Gardening". I've been to several free classes (Season Extention, Growing For Market) and it's a lot of fun, and great info, no matter what your skill level.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Our extension office has a free newsletter they send out every month. The newsletter always has current tips on what we should be doing in our area when it comes ot lawn and garden.

You should check with your extension office to see if they have a newsletter can put you on the mailing list. Our office also puts it on-line

Here is a resource on Fall Gardening:

http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=483

The newsletter I was talking about:

http://lancaster.unl.edu/nebline/2007/

As for people looking things up, in our county the people who answer the phones are master gardener volunteers. So maybe that's who you got first - don't know, but I know when I call I'm speaking to a volunteer who is giving their time to help people like me out. I'd rather have someone look up the answer to make sure - instead of guessing and telling me something wrong.

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
Ed Norman said:
I'd call ours more often, but I hate to wake them up.
hehehehe..... ours is a joke, too. They didn't even know what I was talking about when I called and asked about frost dates!!!! :shrug:

Kitty

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ed Norman said:
I'd call ours more often, but I hate to wake them up.
Yea I go up there face to face some times.They know me I live across the holler from the former County Agent.

big rockpile

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
HomesteadBaker said:
hehehehe..... ours is a joke, too. They didn't even know what I was talking about when I called and asked about frost dates!!!! :shrug:

Kitty
I'm lucky I live near a county with a big enough office so I can find a master gardener.

According to the Web site for the SW Nebraska counties - Did you know in SW Nebraska, you have two agents sharing duties in four counties? And when the agent isn't in, one of the office managers in the county is trying to help - That's how it is with some counties sharing agents in our area.

I've had a really good experience everywhere I've lived with the extension offices - so many resources. Few people know what all is available.

A real shame - especially when good people are thought of as a "joke".

Guess I'd give em a break - that is - unless, horticulture is their specialty - then give em heck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts