Well, at least I know the buck isn't shooting "blanks".

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Michael W. Smith, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

Having an older doe that went down last in 2006 about 1 month before giving birth, I knew I had to do something. The year before once she kidded, her udder had got so huge, she wouldn't let the kids nurse. Wouldn't let me do anything with it either, so her udder became one hard mass. I knew it was ruined. I had planned on doing something with her after that, but you know how time flys.
    Anyway, her back legs just quit working about a month before giving birth. I knew that there was no way she could feed the kids once born, so if I wasn't home in time they would die. But I continued to feed her and give her water. She gave birth to triplets in March -2 bucklings and 1 doeling, but the doeling was dead when I found them with 1 buckling very weak, but both pulled through. The doe did finally get up about a month after giving birth, and has been fine since.
    I considered taking her to the auction, but was afraid somebody might buy her to breed her rather than the meat man buying her. So, finally had the butcher over on Saturday. I'll be having some "hot sticks" and summer sausage very soon. Once butchered, we found out that she had twins inside her only about 2" long - I didn't get the buck until November 24. So at least I know he isn't shooting "blanks".

2. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

After reading this I really do not know what to say.

3. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Good point Michael. Glad you have a potent buck. Soooooooo any new boer cross doelings available?????????

(found a good home for the nubian buck, btw...he isn't going to be dinner anytime soon)

Ruth

4. Michael W. Smith

Well, I figure that anywhere from 4-7 does are bred to the Boer, so yes, I do expect some Boer cross doelings. Are you interested? I'm not going to keep anymore does - I have enough - so they will have to go.

5. moosemaniac

DIBS!!!!!

6. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

7. Michael W. Smith

Huh? Where exactly did the doe suffer? I'm confused.

8. moosemaniac

Yeah, I'm kind of missing that reference too.

Ruth

9. goatmarm

10. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

I was bothered by this statement too. Maybe I do not understand...Or maybe I am reading it wrong..

11. joken

joken Well-Known Member

Ditto, Goatmarm. I couldn't allow my animals to suffer. Who is in charge here? The goat would not let you milk her? How pathetic, I feel sorry for you and your animals. Ken in Oregon

12. Michael W. Smith

Yes, the vet was out to our farm at least 3 times and gave different shots with vitamins, calcium, etc. Tried everything he could think of. She did not not appear to be uncomfortable when she was "down" and would move herself from time to time. If I had thought she was suffering, she would have been down then and there.

13. moosemaniac

I never thought you were capable of animal abuse Michael. But sometimes, without writing a novel in these forums, one just doesn't get enough information out there.

:buds:

Ruth

14. goatmarm

15. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Michael, if you paid for 3 vet trips, those are some mighty expensive sausage and meat sticks.

I'd say you did your part.

:clap:

16. joken

joken Well-Known Member

Michael, Sorry, I flew off the handle. I may have shot the goat, but I wasn't there to make that decision so please accept my apology. Ken

17. Michael W. Smith

I never even thought to mention about having the vet out - so I suppose based on what information I gave you (and left out), you would come to those conclusions!!!!!!

Perhaps this is a lesson for all of us - give detailed information before you get "blasted", and ask for more information before "blasting"!!!!!!! ;) :D

At any rate, I can now look for kids to be born from April 28th and on (since the buck didn't come to our place until November 28.

18. moosemaniac

Does, does, does...mine, mine, mine!!!

Ruth