Welding Shield

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by doc623, May 22, 2005.

1. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Need input from those that mave more experience/knowldege on this than myself.
    What type of flexible fire retardent material is available or what can I use to shield non movable parts next to those that I am welding?
    Problem - doing repair work on my tractor that has a front end loader attachment - used oxboard/plywood material to protect other parts from spatter and fire and etc. Was effective for the most part in protecting hoses, hydrolics and etc - but not enough as a spatter started a fire on some hose coverings with some oil in front of the firewall next to the fuel tank.
    Extinguisher close by - fire out - no real damage - except to my blood pressure and heart rate for about 3-5 seconds.
    Therefore the question - what can I use that is fire retardent and flexible to put in and around the areas next to that which is being repaired and hopefully
    a fire in the future.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Doc

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Old wet blankets work for this, the thicker and the wetter the better, hang them so the splatter runs off via gravity.

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Wet rags and cover those with some heavy tin or copper sheeting. Weld splatter does not tend to stick to copper. Usually pieces small enough that can be bent into shape for the job. Having a number of pieces of different sizes helps.

Wood works good too if you soak it in water first.

4. emke

emke Well-Known Member

We wrap our old leather sleeves around stuff like that. Do you use sleeves when you weld? They are thick enough to keep the slag (splatter) away, but flexible enough to conform around anything. If you have the kind that has the "apron" in front, then the flat piece of leather is better than just the sleeves.

5. northern bc boy

northern bc boy Member

aspestos blankets work great, if you are on a budget get a couple of ugly old brown leather jackets at your local thrift store.