Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. We currently live in Central FL and are wanting to move to a different state because the cost of living, high population and heat are getting too much the older we get. We've done our research for every state in terms of taxes, cost of living, laws, homeschooling, etc. We have a few states we're considering like MI, TN, VA, AL, ME, NC so we're open to different climates, just cooler than FL and we don't have problems with snow.
Now I'm just looking for insight on the welding job market in different states because our plan is to sell our property here, move and rent first while establishing employment and finding our new homestead property.

·
Premium Member
2,980 Posts
I think a good welder could find well paid, steady work pretty much anywhere in the midwest, which is the part of the country I'm most familiar with; IN, OH, MI, IL, KY, etc.
If you happen to be a pipe fitter / welder and don't mind a little travel, you can really make bank in construction.

·
Registered
16,257 Posts
Hi all. We currently live in Central FL and are wanting to move to a different state because the cost of living, high population and heat are getting too much the older we get. We've done our research for every state in terms of taxes, cost of living, laws, homeschooling, etc. We have a few states we're considering like MI, TN, VA, AL, ME, NC so we're open to different climates, just cooler than FL and we don't have problems with snow.
Now I'm just looking for insight on the welding job market in different states because our plan is to sell our property here, move and rent first while establishing employment and finding our new homestead property.
What kind of welding do you normally do? There are more tower cranes in Seattle per capital than anywhere else. Pipeline stuff will be on the down for a while with oil "tanking". If you are a Fab guy I would try the North East.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of welding do you normally do? There are more tower cranes in Seattle per capital than anywhere else. Pipeline stuff will be on the down for a while with oil "tanking". If you are a Fab guy I would try the North East.
I can weld & fab, MIG TIG Stick & Flux. 15 years experience w/ associates degree and all certifications. I don't have a lot of pipeline experience anyway.

·
Banned
746 Posts
Was a boilermaker for 8 years..welded up tanks for chicago bridge and iron..Younger then..traveling was an adventure..

I saw a few couples with pull trailers and a pickup going from job to job. Had property elsewhere and were putting together a grubstake for when they could settle down. In the meantime, pursing jobs around their homestead for later revenue...The traveling usually paid pretty decent..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts