welding/brazing question help please?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by treehugger, Nov 4, 2005.

1. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

Hello,

I am needing to weld a piece of 1018 steel to a brass block. I assume I will need to braze it, am I correct?

What type of flux is reccomended and can this be done with mapp gas?

Thanks

2. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Yup it will have to be braised , i usualy use pre fluxed rods they work fine for me , and it depends if your map gas burner will get it hot enough . I have been known to use a Barbie to pre heat larger things so i can brase them

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

You are supposed to be able to weld it too. They have rods for all sorts of dissimilar metals now. Probably is something like a Silicon Bronze or Aluminum Bronze rod. Even can weld to stainless. I don't recall the rod numbers. You can find them as stick welding on EBay a lot of the time. Just search for welding electrodes. The same one that allows for welding copper to steel can be used for brass.

I tried to buy some one time but they got too expensive. I've never actually tried it. Be nice to have some around.

4. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

wellll,,,,1018 hugh,,,,is this part to be heat treated also? brazing to brass is doable,,,but gives beginners a little problem....you have to control heat very carefully....you have to form a puddle in the base brass metal which is trickey...the rod melts at basically the same temp as the base metal..insulating the base brass metal helps..i've never used mapp..but offhand i'd say its going to be tough and expensive...better if you had oc/acc torch.

5. treehugger

treehugger Active Member

Thanks for your reply,

No,

This is not the same part.

Tommy

6. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

I got out of Lincoln Electric Welding School this last february. I can tell you that it can be welded but it is tedious. Nearly everyone will say take the easiest route and braze it. I dont have my proceedure books here from school so i cant tell you the exact rods to use (mine are in storage right now along with everything else.)

if I were you I would go to the Lincoln Electric Welding School (www.lincolnelectric.com) web page and click on "ask the experts" link and ask Joe Kolasa what you are looking for. He will answer your question promptly (if he is not out of town lecturing), you can rest on that. i email him when ever i need something clarified.

they will answer any question on any weld problem. and man are they good.