Welding a Dodge Door

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Kenneth in NC, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

The Drivers side door on my 1995 Dodge DAkota is about to tear off at the hindges. How do I weld the hindges and door? The metal is so thin. A new door is $900 and a junk yard special is $300. Gee when did Dodge start making such crappy trucks?

Kenneth in NC

2. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

the best thing is to remove the door, reshape metal, then weld with tig, mig or torch. its not a job for stick, and not a job for the unskilled.. we used to weld them while still on the auto...but thats asking for trouble. you ever seen a car burn?

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Back when I worked in the bodyshop I had to do late 70's and early 80's chevys all the time. Remove the door. Remove everything in the door (nothing worse than having welding sparks pit the glass). Staighten the metal . Tig or Mig weld. Stick won't work. Very experienced people can us gas but most people end up with to much heat warpage.

The problem is caused from worn out hinge bushings and/or people that don't get the door closed all the way.

4. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

One good reason to cary a can of spray lube in any vehicle. After every oil change, spray all door and hood hinges and latches.

5. Boss Cooker

Boss Cooker Well-Known Member

Check around for an after market door. If you can locate one, remove your old one, strip the components and install in the new one. Paint and install.
    I needed a door for my 93 ford truck and found an after market door for $150.00 :viking:

6. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

$300 for a truck door?

I am in the wrong business!

I don't think you have called enough junk yards. Might also check your local paper under "cars for parts". Have you tried ebay?

clove

7. longrider

longrider Southern Gent

two years ago i had a young friend of mine come by and surprise me at the door- all smiles and handshakes and laughter! of course, he never comes by without a purpose so i told him to shut up and tell me what he wants!!! lol...as it turns out his door on his Cherokee was falling off or rather fell off. at the time i didnt know how to weld and didnt know anyone with skills of equipment.

the thought hit me that my next door neighbor is an old plumber- he might have skills or at least equipment! so i plodded over there and sure enough he did but declined to weld it up- he thought we ought to scrap the jeep.

so i took a shot at it, using an AC 225 buzz box 1/8th 6010 i welded the hinge to a 1/4 inch flat plate i manuvered into place behind the rusty torn jeep skin. it was a mess but thoroughly welded piece of junk.

that door still holds remarkably strong and has caused no problems. i had so much fun with it i checked out some welding schools and settled on Lincoln Electric Welding school just last year. if i had known then what i know now.....i would have charged my friend out the wazoo instead of just lunch!

8. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

I didnt know they ever made anything els. lol

Im just kidding

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

Found a door 3 towns over at a junk yard. $200 bucks. And I have to remove it. :mad:

Beginning to think just duct tape the sucker and DW and DD can get in on passenger side. :D

Kenneth in NC