welders dream

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by cabe, Mar 21, 2005.

1. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

I work by day for a steel tubing fabricator. I am the dept. head for our tubing cutting operations and this includes steel, copper, and alum.Many times in the past I have seen thousands of feet of tubing tossed into the scrap trailers, and I know folks would love to have this stuff. Sometimes if it is a very good item I will scarf it away for myself. My last addition to my tubing store was some steel for A.T.V. frames, this stuff is 2.0 diam. 20 feet long .83 wall thick, and I got 1500 feet for $18.00(scrap price). I would like suggestions for something to do with this stuff, I have thught of a corral, but I worry about lightning.If it was grounded, would that not protect humans and stock?Marty.

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Nerf bars for your pickup? also I was told by the electrical engineer for our electric company that to ground a hogwire/ barbed wire fence you need to put in a 8 foot ground wire and hook up to your fence. shadowwalker

3. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

WOW, band it and send it. I'd love to have that tubing. I build the frames of my hen houses, horse runins etc with the stuff. To me, it is a lot easier to work withh than wood. Out here we are paying .25 a lb for steel

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

just a use a few steel post ever 100' or so, the lighting will ground out, fine,

when all we had was wood posts in our barbed wire fences, we would go out after a lighting storm and find areas where 10 wood posts would be blown out, then we started to put steel posts in about ever 100' to 200' or so, just the green painted steel Tee post, and clipped or wired the barb wire to them,

in the last 20 or so years I have not had to replace a wood post do to lighting, and we have 7 miles of 3 or 4 wire barbed wire fences, at times we would find dead or hurt cows if they had been crowing the fence before, and have not had any hurt since we put in the Tee posts, and there in just 12 to 16" deep

If your just looking for a single point ground then the recommendation of the electrical engineer would probably be appropriate, but steel fence posts either made of pipe or what ever will work nice, if there are a few of them.

they are now selling what is called continuous panel fencing, it looks like steel fence panels but no ends and the ends are made to fit together, it has light strap to space and to hold them together, and are either welded to steel posts or a U clip, to wood.

5. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Thanks all, and I will remember the tips.My biggest trouble when I get this free tubing is my wife. She wants to let me have it every time I haul some home.I had so much one time I got my Father in law to use it on his farm, he raises a few dozen head of cattle, and it came in real handy for hay cribs and hay racks, trailers etc..One day I am going to find a good use for this stuff, and my poor wife will be proud, yeah sure. Thanks again for all the good info. Marty.

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

a horse corral made of it will be just fine... shoot there are companies out there that make panels that hook together for portable corrals, pens and rodeo arenas of tubing....

Fence your whole property with the stuff, thats what some of the horse farms in kentuckety has done over the years, although they are migrating back towards a lodgepole fence system because it has less maintainance so it is said..... but a prettier fence i doubt you would find than a pipe fence.

William