Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
Small town folks are very aware of urban flight and those leaving liberal to conservative states.
I was just reading a post on FB for a nearby town.
A 30ish woman and her husband had bought land and were preparing to build a home.
They could not believe the lack of hospitals, good health care, nice restaurants and shopping. She and her husband need approximately 4k worth of medication every month.
The state they are leaving has government funded healthcare that pays the majority of the cost of their meds.
It shouldn't be hard to guess what most responses were but they boiled down to "Why don't people research where they are going before they get there? Maybe if people did their homework, locals wouldn't be so biased towards transplants and their wanting to change everything.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
What prompted the OP??

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Small town folks are very aware of urban flight and those leaving liberal to conservative states.
I was just reading a post on FB for a nearby town.
A 30ish woman and her husband had bought land and were preparing to build a home.
They could not believe the lack of hospitals, good health care, nice restaurants and shopping. She and her husband need approximately 4k worth of medication every month.
The state they are leaving has government funded healthcare that pays the majority of the cost of their meds.
It shouldn't be hard to guess what most responses were but they boiled down to "Why don't people research where they are going before they get there? Maybe if people did their homework, locals wouldn't be so biased towards transplants and their wanting to change everything.
I retired to my property that i started buy when i was age 16. Got it for Taxes that was not paid on it. Added to any land that came up for sale around it. Spend 60 yeasrs buying property to retire on. Retired and build my house and a log cabin in the woods. Things had changed a lot wince i was a kid. Hunters all over everyones land with out permission. In my valley got a lot of Deer and other animals. I tried for a year to be reasonable and let people hunt on my propertry if they came and let me know when they were on my property to hunt. They would leave trash and shoot the place up. I went to law enforcment in town (Sheritt) and they said they couldn't do anything about it. The county game warden i have known for years. I talk to him about what i should to about the hunters mesing with my property. It was Deer season and the sheritt and his friends about 20 cars and campers were camped on my big power line. I asked them to leave and the sheritt said they had permission from the power company to hunt there. I didn't say nothing just left. Went to see the game warden in my county and told him my problem. He told me not to worry about it he would take care of that problem. Next morning i heard all the autos and trucks leave the area. My friend down the road said someone called the game warden about the sheriff and other people hunting on private property that was posted no hunting. No more problem with hunters in my area for years now. About 50 hunters and the sheriff each got a ticket for about 2500 bucks each to hunting there and also for messing up the place and a few other things. That took care of people hunting on my property. All the folks up and down my valley called and report anybody hunting on their property after that. No more hunter around here now except the ones that hunt on state property and they have to get a permit and follow state rules to hunt there. So sorry i messed things up for hunting in my area :)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What prompted the OP??
Just trying to stir up some conversation about the propensity for people to run from something they say that they hate only to attempt to replicate it somewhere else.

Kind of like people who escape horrible interpersonal relationships only to jump into another that is often as bad or worse... Example, women who have four kids by four different men and are pregnant with a fifth by man number five.

The trouble arises when people leave an hypothetical "burning pile of rubble" that has often been decimated by copious amounts of their own bad decision making and outright stupidity and have enough money to move into a more depressed economy, dominate it with dollar bills and destroy it for the indigenous population.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you talking about yourself. Sounds like it.
Not so much about myself as I am about the general truth of the following:

The bigger they are, the harder they fall and the more little people they squish when they hit.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
101pigs, sounds like you busted up a "good ol' boys" poaching ring. That takes courage.
Yep. Got messages on my front gate that my building may be burned down. I knew who these guys were. I took the messages and gave them to the Highway patrol. They took care of that. Both of these guys have passed away. One got shot by a drug dealer and another one got shot by his long time live in girl friend. Haven't had no problems for a long time now.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
101pigs, sounds like you busted up a "good ol' boys" poaching ring. That takes courage.
I agree, It did take a copious amount of guts to move on the Good-ol'-boy Sheriff and his homies, however what 101 did was to step into a bigger hornets nest. A group of "licensed" hunters who were hunting in season under the cloak of legitimacy, rather than truly out of season poaching, that were being led by a local Boss Hog who thought he could do whatever he dang well pleased and brow beat and bully the populace into submission.

Paybacks can be a b*tch.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
Sad that they both died that way, but sometimes karma happens.

In season or out of season, hunting without permission is poaching. A lot of game wardens would look real close at their equipment and camp and write them up for each little violation.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
If they had been hunting that land ever since they could carry a rifle, they would see 101pigs as an invader who moved in and expected them to change their habits. It doesn't matter if they used to have permission to hunt there or not. They always did it before and expect to keep hunting there.

It's kind of a paradox. You move into a new place then expect people who used to roam your property to suddenly respect your property lines. So even though the hunters are illegally trespassing, expecting them to comply with the law and respect you as the new land owner is the same as changing your new "here" to what you left "there".

I had a similar problem when I bought a vacant and long neglected property down the road from me. Neighbors had been using the property for years, I expected them to stop using it after I bought it. Created some hard feelings, until those people died off or moved out.

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
I had a similar problem when I bought a vacant and long neglected property down the road from me. Neighbors had been using the property for years, I expected them to stop using it after I bought it. Created some hard feelings, until those people died off or moved out.
A woman bought a little house on a half acre lot in town. Elderly couple owned it, passed away and their kids sold the property. It was outdated and needed a lot of repairs. The new owner lived a few hours away, so she would come in every few weeks to meet with contractors, do some painting, cleanup, etc.
She started noticing that some things looked a little different, moved around, missing, etc.
She installed a few cameras in the tree, over the garage and above the porches.
It seems one lady in her 50s had been stopping by and digging out flowers and plants.
She even came prepared with gloves, shovels, plastic tubs. She would pilfer thru piles of stuff and peek into the windows.
The homeowner posted screengrabs online locally to help identify this woman.
The responses were a heated debate over whether it mattered if someone took a few flowers to possibly shooting her the next time she pulled into the driveway.
Maybe it was old family property and the plants were sentimental-NOPE!
Maybe they thought the house was abandoned, lol. Signs were visible.
The last I heard the homeowner was printing out photos and posting them around town.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I live in a very rural area in Northern Minnesota. We came here to be alone and away from the madness. (Should have probably research the tax situation better, but oh well) I sold real estate for a few years and had lots of customers that were from the cities that wanted to "get away". Of course, I found it amusing that their questions centered around "where's the nearest Coso? Hummmmm, 2-3 hours. "who does garbage pickup?" hummmm, nobody, we burn or take to the dump several miles away. "Who plows this road?" hummm, nobody, we are 7 miles down a forest road because you asked to see the very remote property in the middle of the wolf country so you could be remote. " Little Fluffy need medication from a vet. Where's the vet here?" hummmm, no vet here, but if you drive an hour or so, there's one. The other thing I found amusing was I carried a pistol. I was meeting people I didn't know in remote areas and as a female, wanted protection. Customers couldn't understand. I would say listen, we are walking around remote, vacant land in the middle of nowhere. There are bears, wolves, coyotes, things with big teeth. Of course what I didn't say was "I trust the wildlife FAR more than I trust people."

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I moved from here to there and yep, we travel for everything. The locals have tried for years to get some of those convieniences from there here LOL.

·
Premium Member
27,082 Posts
GTX63, a couple years ago I found several patches of bloodroot were dug up off my property. And I'm pretty sure some local mushroom pickers visit in the spring. Although we have some signs up the front property lines aren't posted. I hope to remedy that problem this year. If the property is posted trespassers can be arrested if caught, even after they have left the property.

·
Registered
34,279 Posts
One got shot by a drug dealer and another one got shot by his long time live in girl friend.
Is that expensive in Missouri? I know in Tennessee it is only about $100 bucks. That was awhile back, might be more now

Reactions: Tom Horn

·
Registered
11,304 Posts
If I have already shared this story I apologize.
In a neighboring county, a guy is hauling trash to his local landfill. Apparently, either he didn't pull into the unloading area the way another guy liked or something happened to tick him off, but words were exchanged. At some point the first guy decided he was better off getting back into his truck. The second guy closed in and made threatening statements. The first guy told him he was armed and to back away from his vehicle. The second guy laughs, goes back to his truck and gets a knife. He comes back, bangs on the window glass and tries to open the door. The first guy shot him thru his door. He was pronounced, using local terminology "graveyard dead" on the spot. The dead guy wasn't some young punk, he was upper middle age.
The sheriff interviews two witnesses. For whatever reason, he did not separate them.
As I was told, this was the gist of the conversations.
Sheriff- "So what did you see"?
Witness 1- "I saw the same thing he (the shooter) saw."
Sheriff- "Which was what?"
Witness1- "I thought he already told you. It went down just like he says."
Sheriff 2- "Ok, why don't you tell me what you saw as you recall?"
Witness 2- " I agree with him (pointing at the first witness). I don't want any trouble. We all saw the same thing."
The local DA determined based on statements and security footage that the shooting was self defense.
Now, the guy dumped his trash and went home. I'm sure there was quite the conversation with his wife that day.
In more urban areas, he might have been held over for questioning, and the mainstream media would have reported that "No charges have yet been filed against the defendant".

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I retired to my property that i started buy when i was age 16. Got it for Taxes that was not paid on it. Added to any land that came up for sale around it. Spend 60 yeasrs buying property to retire on. Retired and build my house and a log cabin in the woods. Things had changed a lot wince i was a kid. Hunters all over everyones land with out permission. In my valley got a lot of Deer and other animals. I tried for a year to be reasonable and let people hunt on my propertry if they came and let me know when they were on my property to hunt. They would leave trash and shoot the place up. I went to law enforcment in town (Sheritt) and they said they couldn't do anything about it. The county game warden i have known for years. I talk to him about what i should to about the hunters mesing with my property. It was Deer season and the sheritt and his friends about 20 cars and campers were camped on my big power line. I asked them to leave and the sheritt said they had permission from the power company to hunt there. I didn't say nothing just left. Went to see the game warden in my county and told him my problem. He told me not to worry about it he would take care of that problem. Next morning i heard all the autos and trucks leave the area. My friend down the road said someone called the game warden about the sheriff and other people hunting on private property that was posted no hunting. No more problem with hunters in my area for years now. About 50 hunters and the sheriff each got a ticket for about 2500 bucks each to hunting there and also for messing up the place and a few other things. That took care of people hunting on my property. All the folks up and down my valley called and report anybody hunting on their property after that. No more hunter around here now except the ones that hunt on state property and they have to get a permit and follow state rules to hunt there. So sorry i messed things up for hunting in my area :)
If that was my situation I’d get a bunch of these signs “Radiation hazard, buried nuclear waste” posted. Then dig up some earth here and there to make it look fresh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts