weird use for diaper genie?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Nessa's Nannies, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Nessa's Nannies

Nessa's Nannies Well-Known Member

i have had this though for a while but i do not know if it would work. :nerd: How about using a diaper genie type of device to store peels, egg shells etc. to add on to the compost once a week? good/bad idea? would it prevent smell/flies? i have never used a diaper genie before so i do not know how well it would work. thoughts? :shrug:

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I think it probably would work pretty well. Never thought about it though.

3. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

I dunno.Bein as how most kitchen wast tends to be high on nitrogen,without air exchange,you might end up with something real stinky,real fast.A week is a pretty long time between trips to the compost heap.

4. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

If you are concerned with smells & flies, a small rubbermaid bin in the freezer will prevent both - handy as well.

We keep two bins in the freezer - one for soup stock trimmings, the other for the eggshells, coffee grounds and similar stuff that we don't want in the soup.

Lynda

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If your kitchen produces a lot of compost filling, go ahead and try the genie. I don't like to keep compost in my kitchen for more than three days, so I just use a coffee can.

6. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I probably wouldn't use it because of the plastic bags. Unless they break down? Anaerobic decomposition does get mighty stinky... Ugh! Nothing like a bag of slime to turn inside out over the pile... ;)

I keep 5 gallon buckets by the back door, because I generate lots of stuff for the compost during harvest. I like the idea of popping stuff in the freezer the rest of the year, though.

Me, I NEED to walk to the compost bins, especially in the Winter. Keeps me from despairing of ever seeing Spring again...

Pony!