Weird tomatoes...what did I plant?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ravenlost, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Wish I had a photo, but I don't. The majority of my tomato plants are producing fruit that is multi-lobed (deep lobes) with orange and red striped skins. When you cut the tomato open it appears to be hollow with all the seeds bunched in the middle (looks like a big strawberry in the center of the tomato).

Ummm...what kind of tomatoes are these? I've never grown any like this before and can't remember what they were.

Next year I'm keeping a garden diary.

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

There are more than one striped stuffers but last year I had Striped Cavern which was as you describe. Turned out to be really prolific and a decent one for dicing in salsa mix. Wasn't my favorite stuffer overall due to the "meat" being a bit thick and softer than better ones such as Novogogoshary. I went back to that one this year.

Martin

3. Ravenlost

Thanks! Funny, I told hubby last night that these tomatoes would be perfect to stuff. Guess I know why now...they're stuffers!

Time to make some tuna salad to stuff these things with as the plants are over five feet tall and loaded.

4. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

Is it perhaps a pineapple tomato? I planted some this year because they are so yummy. They are usually slighly orange or yellow with red stripes and deep lobes. :)

5. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

6. Ravenlost

I don't remember! They are very bright red with bright orange stripes. We're not real happy with the flavor so I'm thinking about ripping some of them out and planting something else.

7. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that it's Striped Stuffer which was "new" to the general gardening public a few years ago. It hasn't become popular since stuffing tomatoes are not in everyone's cuisine. It's more of a European thing and the emphasis is on the stuffing mixture rather than the tomato itself. Stuffing tomatoes were created mainly for stuffing, not as an all-purpose tomato.

Martin

8. Ravenlost

LOL...so I'm just growing organic, edible bowls!

9. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

tigerellas aren't stuffing tomatos. Stripeys are also that same marking but their slicing tomatos like the tigerellas

10. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

I've got the striped stuffers too. Like you I wasn't impressed with them as eating tomatoes. But then I stuffed a few and baked them. They held up really well to cooking, because they were low moisture and the flavor seemed to improve with cooking. Give it a try!

11. Ravenlost

I was thinking I should stuff some with a ground venison/rice mixture like I make for cabbage rolls. I'll definitely give it a try before I start pulling them up.