Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planted all red raspberries in a raised bed four years ago. This year, out of the blue, at one side of the bed, I'm getting what looks like either black raspberries or blackberries. Can anyone tell me where they came from? Will they take over my red raspberries?
Mary

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
the birds paid a visit and left you a gift. they will grow from seed. i have several areas of berry patches that are isolated from other berry canes and the berries had to have been "planted" by the birds. they are just as nice as any of my other black raspberries too.

one risk is disease. black raspberries can be tolerant diseases that will kill red raspberries. the black raspberries may thrive, but any disease they harbor may affect the reds. i had reds for about 4 years or so until they became diseased and died. i have lots of black raspberries around. that's ok as i prefer the blacks to the reds and golds anyway.

you could just dig them out and move them as far away as possible, or you could grow the reds for a fall crop and mow everything to the ground in the spring. the blacks would never bear fruit that way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You need to move the blackraspberries away from the red ones as they will cause the red ones to end up black. I have seen in a lot of catalogs to make sure they are at least 100 yards apart so they won't mix.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
daisybell said:
You need to move the blackraspberries away from the red ones as they will cause the red ones to end up black. I have seen in a lot of catalogs to make sure they are at least 100 yards apart so they won't mix.
Why haven't I ever seen that? I've had red and black raspberries growing right beside each other for at least 25 years. Neighbor even made it more interesting by planting 3 purple raspberries beside my black ones. Every cane always produced true to type. Only odd one came from a seedling between neighbor and I which turned out to be a blah purple and black cross.

Martin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, all I'm sure of is that I don't like the new canes. They are very tall and lanky and produce a bitter small fruit. I cut them all off at the ground and I'm hoping they won't come back next year or contaminate my reds, which are very nice. If they do, I will dig them out.
Thanks to all of you for responding,
Mary

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Tall, lanky, and small fruit means that it's the native wild raspberry known as blackcap. Birds love them and spread the seed for many miles. That's why they are so common along fence rows. I tolerate them as long as they aren't somewhere that they'll grab me each time I walk by.

Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts