Weird symptoms...whatda think?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, Jul 11, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

There are several weird symptoms...1st...we noticed a goatiness about the milk. This has never happened before. Next comes a slight drop in production. She isn't a good producer, anyhow, but we went from 1 1/4 quart a milking to 3 cups. Next is the poop, went from perfect nanny berries to nearly solid clumps( like solid dog poo) and it's a lighter color. :shrug:

I've wormed her twice in the past 5weeks. We haven't changed her feed or anything. The only thing I can think of is that we were out of hay for about 3 weeks, and we got sme orchard hay delivered about 2 weeks ago. These issues just started about 5-6 days ago. :help:

Does anyone know what might cause these things to happen together? Is it possible that it is caused by worms, and perhaps the wormer (ivermectin) doesn't work on her? She isn't acting any differently...

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Baking soda and probiotics......try some alfalfa pellets (or rabbit pellets) w/ grain if you want more milk....
    whenever I worm I give probiotics/b-complex/pigpaste to boost all the good stuff in their system....and feed changes can be rough....appetite levels are a good indicator.
    My girls get a little cow floppy w/ green pasture... :shrug:

3. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

They have freechoice Bakingsoda...and get grain w/ alfalfa pellets at each milking.
    Could mineral deficiency cause this? They have a block, but loose minerals are on order...

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if you have doubt that your wormer is not working you could bring a fecal sample to your vet. food change can cause that too.
    when did she had her kids? some does goe down in production after a certain time after kidding. what breed is your doe? most boer crosses will not keep up with production.
    goatyness could come because she is in heat or your buck is near by?

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Has the weather been on the wet side where you are? Sometimes I find that milk is goatie on rainy stretches or very humid....and then they also cant forage as much or what they do forage has high moisture leeding to atypical poop....

Is she eager to eat her grain?(a good sign) Where is she in her heat cycle? These could all be influences.....

I only use Ivermectin as others left my girls still wormy....minerals will certainly help....I use the horse minerals by the same company that makes calf manna

Sho-Glo

Manna-Pro Sho-Glow

• Promotes a Shiny Coat • Contains Antioxidants, including Vitamins C & E • Contains Yeast Culture for Optimal Digestion By Manna Pro. A vitamin and mineral fortifier that is designed to be fed as a supplemental source of vitamins and minerals to horses. As a horse’s activity level increases, its nutrient requirements can also increase. Sho-Glo® can provide the necessary minerals and vitamins to meet the increased demand of an active horse. Feed 1-2 oz. per day for mature horses, half that amount for foals. 1 oz. scoop included. 5 lb. Bag

Retail Value $10.48

Horse Supplements - Horse Manna-Pro Sho-Glow
    Zoom Image

Item # / Variation

Description

Qty

Price

BWA83
    In Stock

Manna-Pro Sho-Glow
    FOB of 5lb will be added

$8.69

Additional Manna-Pro Sho-Glow Information:

Nutritional Information

Crude Protein Min ...........12.00 %
    Crude Fat Min ..................2.50 %
    Crude Fiber Max .............15.00 %
    Calcium Min .....................7.50 %
    Calcium Max ....................8.50 %
    Phosphorus Min ................4.00 %
    Salt ..........................None Added
    Magnesium Min .................0.50%
    Potassium Min ...................1.00%
    Cobalt .......................Min 88 ppm
    Copper Min ....................880 ppm
    Iodine Min ...................7,700 ppm
    Manganese Min ............2,900 ppm
    Selenium Min ................17.6 ppm
    Zinc Min ......................3,160 ppm
    Vitamin A Min ..........600,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin D Min ............70,000 IU/lb
    Vitamin E Min ..............1,600 IU/lb
    Riboflavin Min ...............375 mg/lb
    d-Pantothenic Acid Min ...250 mg/lb
    Thiamine Min .................250 mg/lb
    Niacin Min ...................2,000 mg/lb
    Vitamin B Min .................100 mg/lb
    Folic Acid Min ...................30 mg/lb
    Choline Min .................3,600 mg/lb
    Ascorbic Acid Min .............50 mg/lb

Ingredients:
    Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Dried Whey, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Amino Acide Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Ascorbic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Propionate (a preservative).

Feeding Directions:
    The measuring scoop enclosed in each container of Sho-Glo will hold approximately 1 ounce. Due to settling of the product in the container, there may be slight variations in the total number of Sho-Glo portions when using the measuring scoop provided. Container, however, will contain the net weight stated on the label and will make the portion indicated when measured exactly by weight.

6. delphinium

delphinium Well-Known Member

My doe had bm's like that a few weeks after kidding, plus we noticed some lice - used panacur and the berries were back to normal and the lice were gone.