Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am realitively new to rabbit breeding (only a couple of years), and this has me very puzzled. I purchased a satin rex who was pregnant. Right on schedule, she had 7 kits. They are all doing fine, now the odd part. That was over a week ago, and I believe she is still pregnant. I can see the kits moving around in her belly. She seems to be doing fine, no distress of any sort. She is caring for the litttle ones just fine, she is eating and drinking normally. My question is: Can a doe have a second litter after she has already given birth? I had someone tell me it was possible. If she were distressed, I would call the vet, but they are moving and she is fine. Can someone help? :shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Yes, it is possible. A doe has two horns to her uterus and can conceive in each of them separately. So if a second mating occurs days or even a week or so after the first encounter, she may become pregnant again. I have never encountered this personally, but it has been discussed here more than once.

I hope someone with more experience than I have will come along and give you some advice on managing the situation. I don't know if she is likely to make a second nest for the new litter or whether she will kindle in the same box. If you don't get some replies soon, you might try posting a new thread with a more specific title. In the meantime, make sure she has plenty of everything: cool fresh water, food and nesting materials.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I read that a rabbit that conceives in both horns a week apart will not have any live kits. I've seen rolling bellies on some of my bred does and got excited thinking I was having lots of kits. due dates came and past, no kits. I think was watching stomachs digesting.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I was wondering about the rolling tummy thing too, Jil. I've never seen it with any of my does and I know when they are due. And sometimes the double pregnancy can cause loss of one or both litters. But I can remember a case being posted here where there were two live litters. The person was asking whether to combine the two nests or not. Unfortunately, I can't remember what advice was given.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
I wonder if you'd be smart to remove the current nest box except to allow feeding morning and night, and provide a second nest box for the between times? That might make it possible for her to kindle the second litter safely. However, I don't know what would happen when you tried to combine the two litters, as the behaviour of the kits is so different at various stages of development. Have you other does with litters or other does due that you can farm one or the other litters out to?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have other does due soon. Maybe if any are alive, i'll see if the other doe will take them. I've been pretty fortunate in that area at least. (I did have a french lop deliver a dead kit a week after she had a full litter. Thought I was crazy then.) The fawn rex is definately still pregnant and I talked to the lady I bought her from. She said she had put the doe back in with the buck to make sure she was pregnant, then left her there for a couple of hours. I will keep you posted! Thank you for the info, thought I was crazy at first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts