Weird Mouth in Kid

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cowgirlracer, Jan 18, 2007.

1. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    We just had another kid born today. This little buckling has a problem with his lower jaw. It sticks out farther than his upper. Is there a name for this? I know parrot mouth is when the upper jaw sticks out too far, but I don't know about this lower jaw issue.

Thanks in advance,
    Anne
    :hobbyhors

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Undershot. It often prevents them from eating correctly, sometimes at all. If it were me, I wouldn't repeat whatever breeding resulted in this. The kids don't thrive.

3. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Nubians come from ancestors with very very poor bites. Some folks can overlook this, others like me think a bite is pretty important. Some bite faults are soo bad the kid can not latch on and make a seal with the teat or nipple to even nurse, others will have eating difficulites for life, as their molars do not line up and they can not even chew thier cud. Saliva from cud chewing can drip from the mouth and cause the goat to have acidosis and be severely dehyrated. We choose to put mouth faults down at birth, but each farm has to deal with these on their own. Breed Nubians long enough and you will see mouth faults. Vicki

4. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have nubians, and I cull for this also.

Niki

5. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

If it's not severe, it could 'straighten'...

I've had babies born with a jutting lower jaw that evened up after a day or so...

Maybe from the birthing process?

If it doesn't? Get the grill ready.

6. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I had a percentage boer doe(nubian/boer) who was sweet as pie but as she developed I noticed her nose "twisting." She looked almost like the horse had kicked her. Found out that there is a genetic thing for this; we culled her to a commercial operation.

7. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

There's a name for that, seen a lot in alpines, wry head or something? The whole face seems to grow longer on one side.

8. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

A wry face? It's inhereited also :) But a twisted bridge down the nose is usually from a sinus infection. It actaully bends the bridge of the nose, saw a saanen with this. Vicki