Weird looking goats or not?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamastars, Jun 30, 2006.

1. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

I know very little about goats, so I thought I'd ask the pro's. I saw two goats that stood about 3 1/2'-4' tall (ground to top of head), brown in color, large build and friendly. All of that seems normal but after looking at them for several mins. I knew something was weird about these goats, then it dawned on me they had no horns and NO EARS! Just indentions where the ears were, no outside flappy part. The pupils in their eyes were like a zig-zag line, can't remember if it went up and down or across. Is there a name for this type of goat? I would appreciate any info., they really suprised me! Wished I had my camera.

2. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The "earless" goats are the LaManchas. Perhaps someone who has them can post a picture for you?
    mary

3. Faithful Heart

Faithful Heart Well-Known Member

Did it look something like these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The goats pictured above are called - LaManchas. Some people love the look. I think it's VERY odd. :)

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

YES YES THESE GOATS ARE FREAKS OF NATURE AND YOU DONT WANT THEM!!!! And that's why you need to LOAD THEM UP and bring them to MY house!!!!! (giggle) It's Bedias, Texas....thats B-E-D......

giggle.

I LOVE my lamanchas!!! They are nice and QUIET and pretty calm and give BUCKETS AND BUCKETS of milk and have NICE BIG TEATS that are SO EASY to milk!!!! I just ADORE mine!!!!

5. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help. Now I know they are suppose to look that way. They were so weird looking it made them really cute and they were very freindly. I was checking on my land in the foothills and their pasture borders one side. When the goats saw me they came running up to the fence and followed me as I walked along that boundary. They seemed to be great goats. Mystery solved!! Thanks again!

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

If you can get La Manchas do - I have nubians, alpines (well now only one), a La Mancha, and a boer. My La Mancha is of the nicest, quietest temperament. she can be more mishievious than my nubians and Boer, but I think that's her individual personality.

The no ear thing takes a bit to get used to, but now I look at her and think she looks like a sophisticated lady with her long neck, etc. the other goats are really cutesy, but she just has a well Glamorous look -if a goat can be glamorous that is!

kids

7. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

grin. Yeah everytime my uncle comes by to work on the tractor he walks around a corner, runs into a lamancha and always drops back a step or two and gasps before he REMEMBERS they are SUPPOSED to look that way. It freaks him out everytime!!! (I think he'd be happier if I just had Boers "like everyone else".

8. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I have a pygmy/kinder cross doe, a pygmy/boer cross doe and a LaMancha/Saanen cross wether, and of the three the LaMancha cross is the friendliest, gentlest one. He is my favorite, his name is Legolas.

9. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I had to get used to them too. When DH found the seller, I looked them up on line and thought, NO WAY, they look like aliens.

When I met them, I was hypnotized by their eyes, which is about the most prominent part of their faces and heads. Now, two weeks later and after having them for three days, they DO look like sleek, stylish ladies with haut couture hairdos.

LaManchas have two kinds of ears, the gopher ear which is basically NO ear, and the elf ear, which should be less than 1 1/2 inches long. I have two of the first and three of the latter in the does, and all the kids but one have the elf ears. One has Saanen ears because Victor the Saanen Buck escaped the fence and had his way . . . his ears look like little propellers. He is the sweetest little wether.

They are shy and sweet. My little milker kisses and nuzzles when she gets near me. The other milker, the small teated brat, tries to bite and bosses everyone around but turns into a love when you scratch her or hand feed her. Their milk is snow white and sweet. They can be as prolific as Saanens, too bad the mixed kid is male.

10. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Quiet...hmmmm...I must have the loudest LaMancha in the known Universe.
    We originally called her Christmas, but I privately call her "Mavis". She has the loudest, most persistent and obnoxious fog horn of a plaintive complaining MAA! that I have ever heard. She drives my son crazy. He says over and over while doing the chores: "Shut up! I hate that goat! I'm going to kill that goat! SHUT UP!!!!"

I personally find it funny. Her twin is loud too, but she takes the cake. I have a LaMancha Nubian cross with elf ears who is elegant and gorgeous. She is on the quiet side, despite the Nubian blood.

I too found them repulsive to look at and I declared I would never have a LaMancha goat! But when I bought a slew of dairy babies my dd fell in love with the 2 pure white twins. The owner told me she had felt the same way---until she started milking them. She said they are great milkers and good personalities. And then the Nubian/LaMancha cross was a day old. Oh my word, she was sooooo adorable I just couldn't leave her there.

I haven't regretted it. I think they look like camel's heads when they have the elf ears.

11. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

I have all kinds of goats here any my pgymy is the loudest. Gosh right now she will scream or Baa so loud my other goats look at her like what the heck are you Baaing about. I have a LaMancha milking doe and she is the sweet but the queen of the herd gal.. :)

12. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em