Weird Looking Goat Feed

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, May 12, 2006.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Just a quick question. I normally give my goats a bit of sweet feed and it has those little pellet-ly things in it and them some grain. The other day I was trying to get some "medicated" goat feed and they sold me a bag. My question is that this stuff looks funny! I don't know if I should switch to it or not. (it comes from a local feed producer) It has the cotton husks in it and looks more like the cattle feed that I have seen. If I could figure out how to post a picture of it I would. Should I feed it or just toss it?

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Is it the same stuff that you usuall feed? If not, maybe mix it with the usual stuff, gradually...no waste that way, and no colic, either.

3. Niki

Niki mini-steader

I don't have goats, but I used to work for an animal nutrition company for many years. If one of my customers called in with this question, I would have asked them to compare the feed tags of both products. Compare the ingredient list and the guaranteed analysis.

My primary concern with feeding a pelleted feed or a loose grain mix that is medicated is whether or not the animal will consume all of what is fed or leave some - resulting in not getting what they need medication-wise, or what if that animal or another gets loose and consumes 1/2 the bag - which does happen. Can an animal overdose? I would be finding these things out.

If you compare the tags and feel more comfortable about feeding it, I would start with 75% of the former feed mixed with 25% of the new feed for a week. The 2nd week do a 50/50 mixture. The third week do a 25/75 mixture and the fourth week can be 100% new feed.

HTH!