Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goat: 4 yr old doe, very healthy, due to kid August 1st

Background: I had back to back week long shows and goat was being boarded at friend's house, she's very goat savvy. Goat got piece of foxtail stuck in eye, vet called out, removed debris, started goat on topical antibiotic treatment of eye. The eye looked horrible but within 6 days it looked about healed, no more redness, cloudyness gone, no more tearing. However, about this time, the entire side of the goat's face (the side treated for the bad eye) broke out in a nasty raised rash that looked like poison ivy, all the hair fell off, and she was a mess of scabs, not like a pox, not abcesses, it was irregular and spread out from her eye. Vet says goats can get poison ivy/oak, although none of mine ever have - or it could be a reaction to the antibiotic cream, which was basically just neosporin. She's had that on cuts before an never had a reaction. Goat was rubbing face as if it itched, friend treated her with benadryl and it seemed to help. Goat is still at friend's house until face heals and she kids. We're all perplexed.

Anyone ever see anything like this?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me, the rash sounds identical, and if benadryl relieved it then the system was responding appropriately. A neocmycin allergy will present as Atopic Dermatitis (ironically the same thing it is common prescribed to treat) symptoms will include red irritated dry flaky skin, blisters or boils, and bruising. Just because they haven't responded to an irritant before does not mean they can't have reactions to it. Any chance the antibiotic is neomycin? Neosporin by the way is neomycin, so is animax, gentamicin(common eye drop) let's see...Panalog, Bacitacin also contains neomycin and is prescribed by some vets, and Framcyterin. Neomycin does carry with it certain risk levels, especially to humans, but the same risk occur in animals as well. The general response is a mild allergic reaction. It is a sulpha drug therefore can pose a risk of reaction at any given time, as it's just not tollerated well generally speaking. Neomycin is distributed under several different product names, but generally used in topical creams and eye drops. We used it primarily for cats with a URI, to clear the eyes, some cats would loose hair around the eyes, (the eyes would clear) but heavy tearing, and hair loss was common. I would discontinue with the antibiotics. Sounds like the course of treatment should be over with by now if not in the near future anyways.
I myself am allergic to neomycin, if used on my hands and feet, anywhere else I am fine thus far. It's a strange thing. I have to wear gloves to treat any animal with any neomycin based product. It had never bothered me until about 5 years ago while working for the vet and now neosporin is off limits. I'm nearly certain this is what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Did she get any kind of shot from the vet, too?

The ointment was "basically neosporin" ... and what else? Something she could react to?

Could it be soremouth erupting from a stress-induced weakened immune system? I have had that in my herd, and it can get very nasty-looking, with hair loss, in some goats. If that's what it is, it will resolve in 3 weeks or so.

I am extremely dubious about the claim that goats can get poison ivy or oak. Mine EAT IT and never get lesions.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,853 Posts
Our human doctor detests Neosporin. He says it causes chemical burns.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
The physical description sounds like a staph infection - but benadryl wouldn't affect that, so...

Here is a really nasy photo of one of our goat's chin - she breaks out in this in times of stress- it is staph - not orf. Just for reference - did your goats condition look like this? We treat with nolvosan and it clears up.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Since photos were being posted I looked up some picture for a neomycin allergy, alot of lit out there on allergies but unfortunately the only pic I could find was in a person. It's bit graphic as per the blisters, but with this being shown you can understand the resemblence to a severe reaction to poision ivy.

I have never seen a goat with poision oak or ivy, not to say that it isn't possible, but due to their unique system, and oils in their skin, the molecular ingredients that form to create the itchy rash that poision ivy causes, physically cannot bond to the skin of a goat to irritate them. Not to say it's not ever impossible, in cases where the immune system is down it's possible but I have never seen it.
I would be hesitant to say Staph infection, as mentioned benadryl would not relieve the area, and staph produces scabby crusts and pustules that ooze, when in the dermal layers.
Let me know what antibiotic you are using, and what ingredients are contained. This sounds identical to the aforementioned neomycin allergy.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Ewwwww....but I agree, it sounds like a reaction to the meds.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good lord, I'm glad I ate before I came back and looked at the pictures! It does resemble the staph infection, but the scabby thing is gone and it's pink and healed over now. Stress? Well, she was moved 3 weeks prior to kidding but seems her relaxed happy self now. Both the spray and topical she was given has neomycin in it, and the area DOES resemble a healed burn now. I hope the hair grows back. I've used that triple antibiotic ointment lots of times with no reactions and will discontinue with this doe. She looks much better and I don't think I need to treat it with anything else.

On a side note, I just dug a bb out of another doe's back, I noticed a raised lump right on her spine. Squeezed the pus and out popped a copper bb. Wish I knew who was responsible for that - nobody has one of those in this house and she's been at three shows in the last three weeks. Right in the center of her spine! I don't know if that could have paralyzed her or not, but it sure would have ----ed me off - she's my best doe.

Does everyone have a crazy neighbor? I do. This doe has not left her own little paddock area in months. No reason to pop her with a bb gun for sure. Pretend I'm swearing, I don't want my post deleted.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Oh - poor sweetie. I'd shoot anyone who shot my goat - lodge a bb in them. :p
Yeah - sorry for the grapghic photo with no warning - though the foot was even grosser. :)
When the staph heals on ours it gets pink when the scabs heal and then grows back the hair. And they never SEEM stressed - but a move while bred was our first breakout. the secomd came with othe arrival of our LGD pup.

In any case, glad she's doing better.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Doc: Yeah a burn is the perfect way to describe it, that is essentially what it does. Since you have confirmed neomycin as an ingredient that confirms my suspiscions. Like I said some may never react to it, others will the first time, and some only react to it on different areas of the body. I wouldn't use any further products containing that on her like you said, err to the side of caution. Give her a few weeks and all the hair will be back as good as new, no permanent damage, just a raw spot that will be good as new soon = ) Stress can play a role, but goats and stress are funny funny things. I have seen goats stress just being moved to another paddock, and yet our buck who was seriously attacked by dogs, and then fly stricken before we got him two days later never had a problem asides from the wounds and dehydration. So it depends on the goat, and the anxiety level, much like people, but I highly doubt this is solely a stress issue. However with her system underalot of physical stress it could of made her more prone to the reaction. That is very possible.
Sorry to hear about the other goat and bb's! That is horrible! I've seen it before, mostly with cats and dogs, but to target a goat is senseless. I hope you are able to find out who did that, or at least that they do not do it again.

·
Sunny Daze Farm
660 Posts
My neighbor shot one of my barn kitties with a bb gun and it did paralize her, when right through her spine :( My crazy neighbor is an 80-something year old man...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi Doc M..don't know if she was washed first or not..but I saw an odd thing yesterday at the fair.

Its just a small county fair. My friend is in charge of the goat show part. She said..look at this .. there was a pair of nice enough looking boer goats in a pen. And one..on her shoulder..lost all her hair in about a three inch square. And there was irritation.

I said .. what happened there? She said the person washed the goats..but did not get all the soap rinsed out..over night..she was itching .. and that lead to the fallout of hair and semi, soon to be, wound.

Like I said..don't know if they used a wash on her or not. Best of luck.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,570 Posts
On a side note, I just dug a bb out of another doe's back,
Ooooh, I'd be burning mad too! :flame: I once popped a pellet out of my very large, very gray horse - don't think anyone mistook him for a bird. :grump:

Our NubianX isn't allowed out too far during hunting season - she looks very deerlike.

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
DocM, this is perplexing. Could this be somehow related to her being bred and some sort of an auto-immune response? Just brainstorming.

Sher, good point, perhaps a betadine scrub could cause an iodine reaction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts