weird cocoon

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marvella, Apr 3, 2005.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/tnmtnflower/msoC3404.jpg

i'm going to post this over on the garden forum too.

i found this attached to an old cage, while i was cleaning out under the rabbit hutch. whatever is in there is gonna be big, as the cocoon is roughly the size of the palm of my hand. the picture shows it on it's side, but it actually was turned to where the narrow end was up.

any idea what in heck this could be? knowing my luck, i'll be gone to work when it hatches and come back to find an empty case.:)

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Whoa...never seen anything like that. Could it be bagworms? And are you SURE you want to be there when it hatches?

3. marvella

no, i'm pretty sure it is not bagworms. those cocoons are much smaller than this.

yeah, i'd love to be here and see it hatch!!! this is one of the maiin reasons i live this way, and only use pesticides etc. as a last resort. i get to see the coolest stuff!! my old house had day-glo spiders, that glowed green in the dark. and had tons of butterfly moths hanging around the porch, that i have never seen anywhere else. my DGD gets' her love of bugs naturally.:)

4. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Oooohhh, that looks really cool. Please don't forget to let us know if you find out what it is! I love bugs.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Good to know I'm not the only insect nut in the world! Bug guy came to spray last summer and I took him around to the back porch, showed him my garden spider over the back door and said, "Don't you dare spray that spider!". He was back about a week ago, I took him to the back porch and said, "Don't you dare spray my three spider cocoons!".

I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy.

6. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

7. marvella

isn't it cool?? :) i tried to reproduce the conditions i found it in, under the new rabbit hutch, and facing south.

i'm real curious. maybe even too big for a luna moth cocoon.

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I had a luna moth caterpillar once that cocooned up and later came out as a beautiful luna moth (We had no idea what kind of caterpillar it was until the moth's wings unfolded, it came out on my birthday party too!) The cocoon was definately not that big.

9. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

Its an alien egg case. Contact the x-files.

A mummified rabbit baby or fetus?

10. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Do you think it might be a Polyphemus Moth?

11. bugstabber

bugstabber Chief cook & weed puller Supporter

Some kind of big moth is my guess.

12. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

My guess would be a cecropia moth, but not being able to really see the cocoon well, I can't be sure. Cecropias are the largest silk type catepillar in the united states, and they exist only east of the rocky mountains. Be sure to let us know what comes out of this thing when it hatches, if you get lucky enough to see it.

13. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

Cecropia moth is a good guess but they only spin on tree limbs. The Luna Moth spins on the ground - messy. I had one come out on my fence some 13 years back - took it to a neighbor who was out and had always studied moths and butterflies. It could not fly yet as it had to expand its wings and get its circulation going. We put it on the brick fireplace where it could get a good hold. HUGE moth I had never seen before. It flew away a few hours later.
    I did find a big big butterfly or moth - in South Dakota on the pavement in a truck stop. Picked it up and put it on grass area on a base of a sign - It too seemed to need to get itself working. It was almost as big as a luna and almost entirely brown - some dull markings. I have no idea what it was except that it was gloriously big. Sapphira

14. thequeensblessing

thequeensblessing Well-Known Member

I have seen a cecropia moth cocoon stuck to the underside of my son's bike. We didn't know what it was at the time, and we brought it into the garage and put it in a gallon size jar. We checked it everyday when the weather started to warm up sufficiently. When it hatched, I had no clue what it was. we took it to the agricultural extension office, and they told me what it was. It was quite large and actually quite beautiful. We let it go. Now, granted, my son had left his bike in the shrubby treed area, so perhaps that's why the thing went there. The guy at the extension office said that they like dark places to pupate.

15. marvella

i may well be a cecropia, or giant silk moth. vera posted some links about it on the thread in the garden forum. it looks most like number 2 illustration in the last link she posted. also megz sent it to her entymology professor.

i am surrounded by woods. the rabbit hutch, where i found this thing, is next to a small creek in those woods, and it would be dark under the rabbit hutch, sort of. the bottom of the cocoon is facing south, i guess to get what warmth it can?

16. blazingguns

blazingguns Well-Known Member

That is one big cocoon!!!! I hope you post what it is when it hatches!!!!!!!

17. marvella

i'm going to try my darndest to keep a close eye on it. i'll be sure and let y'all know!