Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to owning goats, I was wondering if my 3-month olds look too rotund-- I've actually saw them rounder than this. I call them my cannonballs. I haven't been feeding any more than 1st cut hay and pasture but man, they look as wide as they are tall. I have kelp, salt, minerals, baking soda free choice.

They look like this day, night, morning. My husband said they look bred! But don't seem to be the worse for wear and they make proper marbles.

197847541_10158230690203133_2213447690704923381_n.jpg

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm actually new to goats as well but I can say that your goats look just like mine. When my smallest wether lays down to chew cud and rest, he sometimes looks like he ate a basketball, lol. I feed my goats free-choice hay (first cut), they forage all day long, and I will give them some alfalfa if its been raining and they won't go outside. From what I've read, obesity in goats comes from feeding too much grain and treats and not enough exercise. I'm extremely paranoid about UC, so my goaties will each get a small handful of goat feed maybe 2-3 times a week.

Have you looked up any images of goats (same breed(s) as yours) to get an idea of what they should look like? Pygmies can look a little on the chubby and it helped me to compare images to what mine look like. All that being said, I am going to have the vet take a look at them when she comes out to band my ram lambs next month, so I'll report back what she says about their weight.

I'm sure weighing my goats would be the easiest way to find out, but my goaties are just now letting me pet their faces and noses, and will let me put my hand on their sides, but that's it so far. So picking them up to weigh them is out of the question for now.

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alice to the rescue, brava :)

I snapped these this evening, the little happy toads. I took one out by herself on a leash for a quick training/outing and she found goldenrods growing by the barn and snacked.

IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3652.JPG

·
Registered
191 Posts
Mine only look that bloated when they get a lot of hay or focus on grass instead of weeds and bushes. Im guessing that grasses break down into more gas in the rumen than weeds/brush does.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts