Weight Watchers? Jenny Craig? LA Weightloss??

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Tonya, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Tonya

Tonya Guest

Has anyone tried any of the diet programs out there that give you counseling as well as a diet to follow? I have about 150 pounds to lose and since I might be coming into a little inheritance, I think I might have enough money to get do this, but I don't know which plan I want to go with.

Did you like the food on the plan? I'd like to have one where I can make the food. My DH needs to lose a like amount, so having him be able to eat the same foods would be good.

Thanks for your insight!

2. Country Lady

Country Lady Well-Known Member Supporter

By all means, Weight Watchers. It's the most sensible and healthy.

3. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

My daughter and Son in Law go to weight watchers. She has lost about 15 pounds, but he lost about 50.

I think it is better for them since they both enjoy cooking and fresh veggies and fruit are more available in NYC than here - and the prices are very good.

4. Lizza

Lizza Well-Known Member Supporter

Weight Watchers, definelty! I will be joining myself, again, this month. I do the online weight watchers because I'll never make it to the meetings and I like the online community boards and all the online food counters, recipes, restraunt guides, ect. It keeps tracks of all your "points" (food) for the day and week and you weigh in once a week. It also keeps track of your exercise and you get extra points (food) for it..All in the comfort of your home. There is a board for members needing to loose 100+ pounds.

If memory serves it is $17 a month and free to join if you pay for three months up front.

5. jen74145

jen74145 Well-Known Member Supporter

Can I suggest something?

Before you go spend a huge amount, try Joanna Lund's books... my meat-and-taters guy lost thirty pounds in a month, never hungry at all. Recipes are simple, what most people are used to (skillet suppers, indulgent desserts, muffins, breads, you name it, she's got a recipe). As a plus, she lists the diabetic exchanges and specific amounts of sugars, calories, sodium... really handy. We used "Cooking Healthy with a Man in Mind." Not pretentious, and DOABLE.

6. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I had a friend who did Jenny Craig. It cost so much that she didn't cheat. She lost a good 80 pounds.

She gained it all back in about half the time it took to lose it once she stopped buying their ready made food.

Weight watchers teaches good eating habits, not how to eat from a prepackaged plan. I'd go that route.

Jena

7. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

...nodding in agreement with Jena...
    I did Nutri-System many years ago. I lost about 20 lbs., enough that I looked really good in a bikini when DH and I went on vacation. But I didn't take my "special" food with me. I remember feeling sick and icky the first two days, and I'd gained it all back by the time I got home.

Definitely Weight Watchers. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

As for me, I'm on the "drink lots of water and stop eating sugar, and just hope for the best" diet plan. :)

8. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I can only speak for LA Weight Loss who I used to work for.

All they are concerned with is selling you the program and the product. They do try to encourage you to follow their program (which is a calorie based diet), so that you will not give up and stop buying their product line.

You would be much better off IMHO to get an appointment with a nurtritionalist or naturopathic doctor and discuss with them how to alter your eating and behavioral habits to lose the weight.

All of the products (Jenny Craig, Nutri-Systems, Weight Watchers Frozen Dinners), are FULL of ingredients, preservatives, etc., that are very questionable from a health point of view.

donsgal

9. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=joanna+lund&y=0&x=0

Number 11. $1 plus $3.50 shipping. What have you got to lose? (No pun intended).

donsgal

10. JessieGirl

JessieGirl Well-Known Member

Seriously...and I may get bashed for this, but eliminate white bread, pasta, and sugar from your intake and the weight will drop off. I don't want to say the dreaded "low-carb" words because people get really fired up about it...but if you just eliminate these 3 things, you will get results for sure.

11. inthewoods

inthewoods Well-Known Member

I agree with JessieGirl!

Save your money! Just cut out the carby foods, drink water, and the weight will come off!

12. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

A buddy of mine from MS called this his "no white diet". No rice, potatoes or white breads. It works. Especially if you work out.

I lost 42 pounds in about 4 months. I have gained 10 back (figure 4 in water weight and 6 eating too much). I used modified Atkins style low carb, water and exercise. The only fatty food was in the first 2-3 days. Then lean meats (less than 4 OZ per serving), a little cheese and lots of veggies. Not vegan but close. Supplements were carefully taken to prevent the health problems associated with ketosis. With this diet I felt wonderful after the first 3 days!!!!

I only gained back the 6 pounds because I have been too busy making money instead of taking care of Budda.

13. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

Tonya, please join us down on the weight loss area for support. I am now going to tops. www.tops.org but I am following the point system from weight watchers to actually lose the weight. If you are interested in either of these let me know, I can help you know how to follow the programs. Weight Watchers is a pay buy the week program. I think it's seven dollars a week. Tops is pay by the year $24 a year. I have an awesome support group with tops and I have lost 14 pounds since Thanksgiving. weight watchers has two awesome ways to lose, follow their meal plan or count points. I prefer to count points, meaning, 1 apple means 1 point. 3 cookies is 2 points. It's calculate points with calories, fat and fiber. the higher in fiber the better. I can email you a points calculator if you wish

14. nandmsmom

nandmsmom Well-Known Member Supporter

Weight watchers is the best by far. Very sensible. If anyone is looking for a free, but very thorough weight loss website, check out www.sparkpeople.com. Its fantastic. They will give you exercises, you can track what you eat, the exercise you do and can even give you meal plans to follow.

Heather

15. SandyB

SandyB AKA Southernbelle32

Weight Watchers is the best IMHO. Before getting pregnant I lost 50lbs. I then found out I was pregnant and couldn't go anymore but the 1st saturday after I come home form the hospital I'll be there. I would still begoing but DR wouldn't sign the waiver for me since that is their policy. TYhey have had too many people go and still try and lose weight something goes wrong with the baby so they sue. He says they rather not put themselves in that position!!

16. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Life time member of weightwatchers here-and do i need to start back--but i cant afford it right now. nandmsmom, thats for the link--it looks promising.

17. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

On TV here they are advertising free to join online this week..weightwatchers.com/free--you might check it out DEE

18. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

Thats the registration fees that are free, always free to lifetime members, and we dont have to pay for missed meeting, another perk--its just the weekly fees are high -used to be 6. per week

19. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I guess the place to start is to figure out why you are over weight . Is it because you don't know how to make good food choices and/or exercise, or is it because you know how but just can't get motivated to do it. If it is knowledge you are lacking than a nutritionist may be the way to go, if it is the motivation you are lacking then perhaps Weight Watchers may be the best route (I believe they form some kind of support group to hold you accountable and motivate you, and from what it looks like teach you to eat from regular foods instead of pre-prepared stuff, although the pre-prepared stuff may be worth it if it helps you keep from being dangerously over weight). Good luck, I know it is hard...

20. Anita in NC

Anita in NC Well-Known Member

Weight Watchers.

I go to WW because I need the motivation each week. I know how to eat, what to eat, when to eat etc.... but it is hard to stay motivated. I always feel more motivated after a meeting. I like talking to the friends I have made.

WW teaches a lifestyle, something you can stick to for the rest of your life using real foods. Once you become a life time member meetings are free.